Corsair Community

HX520W sata problem

alex24

The power supply seems to work fine and is very quiet, however, it has one major problem. I have two samsung 400Gb drives and neither of them seem to run on the provided sata power cables, in fact my friend who has the same power supply lent me his spare cable and it doesnt work with that either. It doesnt seem to make a difference which socket the sata connector is plugged into.

If i use a 4 pin and a 4 pin to sata convertor the drives work fine!

Not quite sure what is going on here, any ideas? Could it just be a dud power supply?

I should mention I am based in the uk.

Thanks in advance.

Will do when he wakes up!

I reckon this is most likely to be a problem with the drives not responding properly to the 3.3V pin (since this is the only difference between a standard sata connector and a 4 pin to sata adaptor) or a problem with the 3.3V rail of the psu though you would have thought this might stop the motherboard working correctly too (dont know if the mb uses the 3.3v rail or not actually).

Will report back on the situation once i have tested the disk on my friends psu.

Ok having tried the disk with the cable on my friends psu it worked perfectly. I guess this means there is a problem with my 3.3v rail. I can't see how any of the other components can be causing this (such as the motherboard) so i guess its return time.

Couldn't wait so went out and bought another one whilst I rma the first (hopefully the shop in the uk will give me store credit or something!)

Anyway the new one works perfectly and is very quiet!

Cheers for the help.

Archived