Corsair Community

Striker Extreme w/QUAD2X4096-6400C5D

jfklives

Out of all the machines I've built, this board has to be the most difficult to install. I successfully got the machine up on XP 64 using one of the 512 blades and ran all my driver/windows updates. Once that was sorted, I installed the remaining 3 DIMMS from my QUAD2X4096-6400C5D set. It sees the memory fine, but once in windows I'll crash anytime sometime with weight starts to run.

After some research, I'm starting to think that the bios settings are incorrect. Unfortunately, there is just not a lot of information out there on QUAD2X4096-6400C5D, which includes this forum. I'll continue messing with the bios settings, but if anybody has the exact configuration to get my 4gb/800mhz set stable, I'd greatly appreciate it!

**Setup: XP 64bit, 2.4 Dual Core Quad, QUAD2X4096-6400C5D, Dual 8800 GTS OC, 1TB Seagate Stripped Array, Ultra X300, Coolermaster 831 Evo**

Here's the lates config that appears stable with 2GB, as the previous wasn't remaining up for more than 6 hours at a time:

tCL 5

tRCD 5

tRP 5

tRAS 18

Command Per Clock (CMD) 2

Voltage 2.2

Using the memory tester that was suggested on another site, I passed all DIMMS 2GB/1GB combinations, but all 4GB combinations continue to fail. I'm still thinking this is an issue with the boards configuration and not the memory. I tried different combos with raising/lowering the voltage from 2.1-2.2, still fails.

In Over Voltage, could changing the DDR2 voltages help here? I wasn't too sure about these settings, so I didn't touch them.

Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated, as I'm running out of ideas. :[pouts:

Here's an easier to read break down of my equipment:

CPU: Intel 2.4 Core 2 Quad

RAM: Corsair QUAD2X4096-6400C5DHX

Drives: Seagate ST3500630AS x 2 Stripped

Video Card: BFG 8800 GTS OC 320 MB x 2 (Only using one till I get stability)

PSU: Ultra X300 1,000 watts

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings:

Sli ready: Disabled(This setting has nothing to do with your graphics configuration)

Memory Voltage: 2.0v

1.2V HT: 1.25v

NB Core Voltage: 1.5v

SB Core Voltage: 1.55v

CPU VTT Voltage: 1.25v

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 28

Thank for the reply, your assistance is greatly appreciated here! :):

I tried the settings that you suggested and am running into the same problem. The only other bios settings I changed outside the default was to enable raid on SATA 1/SATA 2, & the boot priority for Memtest86 v1.7 to run on startup. The test fails at the same spot on the third round. For giggles I let to try to run the OS, but it fails at the Window's 64 Bit load screen.

CPU: Intel 2.4 Core 2 Quad

RAM: Corsair QUAD2X4096-6400C5DHX

Drives: Seagate ST3500630AS x 2 Stripped

Video Card: BFG 8800 GTS OC 320 MB x 2 (Only using one till I get stability)

PSU: Ultra X300 1,000 watts

I tested all modules one at a time and various combinations with 2 blades along with different slots for each module in a 4GB solution.

• Corsair Employees

Are you setting the Command Rate to 2T? And did you try the latest bios and load setup defaults, then set the settings I gave you?

The Quad core CPU may not run 4 modules that well until the Bios matures a bit more.

Are you setting the Command Rate to 2T?

If you're referring to the Command Per Clock, I'm setting that to "2". I haven't seen anywhere in the bios that mentions Command Rate or 2T, but I could be missing it completely. If that's the case, please let me know.

And did you try the latest bios and load setup defaults, then set the settings I gave you?

I flashed the bios with the latest Asus had on the web site Friday, 11 something I believe. The PC will not load into windows with 4GB of RAM, it just crashes. Anytime this happens, I use the CMOS clear button & start over again.

The Quad core CPU may not run 4 modules that well until the Bios matures a bit more.

That would be extremely disapointing for me since I bought these modules based on information posted on Corsair's website saying it was compatible with my board (http://corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=15763) and this RAM was not cheap. :(:

• Corsair Employees

Are you setting the Command Rate to 2T?

If you're referring to the Command Per Clock, I'm setting that to "2". I haven't seen anywhere in the bios that mentions Command Rate or 2T, but I could be missing it completely. If that's the case, please let me know.

Command Rate and Command Per Clock are the same setting just different chipset of Bios kernel. You can learn more about BIOS settings at Techarp!

And did you try the latest bios and load setup defaults, then set the settings I gave you?

I flashed the bios with the latest Asus had on the web site Friday, 11 something I believe. The PC will not load into windows with 4GB of RAM, it just crashes. Anytime this happens, I use the CMOS clear button & start over again

Did you load setup defaults after you reset the BIos and before you set those settings?

And I think we just spoke on the phone, but this maybe just the MB Bios needs to mature a bit more but I would test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure you dont have a failing module.

Did you load setup defaults after you reset the BIos and before you set those settings?

No, I've not been doing that. This hot button resets the BIOS to factory settings. Each this is done, I need to reconfigure all memory settings, the RAID, & boot order.

And I think we just spoke on the phone, but this maybe just the MB Bios needs to mature a bit more but I would test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure you dont have a failing module.

No, I've not been on the phone with anyone from Corsair.

I always built my systems around the board first and work my way out. Corsair has been my memory of choice for many years & I've never had problems. The memory rocks on performance & reliability! This was the last piece of my new rig that I bought & I only purchased this specific model because it was the biggest/fastest option on the Corsair approved memory list for my board, which I already linked earlier on this thread. When you say the BIOS needs to mature, are you referring to an updated release of the BIOS for my board? It was just flashed Friday with 1102, which has been out since April. If that's what you're saying, why does Corsair have the 4GB kit listed as a working solution on their website for the ASUS Striker Extreme? Was this memory actually tested by Corsair to work with my board?

• Corsair Employees

You are using a CPU that is not listed as supported on ASUS's CPU support site and if you are getting errors with the modules one at a time that would suggest some other problem, and these modules are compatible with this MB in fact its one of the MB we use. But if you are using a CPU that has not been tested there is not a lot we can do.

Also try the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the TRC: to 24 and see if that helps,

You are using a CPU that is not listed as supported on ASUS's CPU support site and if you are getting errors with the modules one at a time that would suggest some other problem, and these modules are compatible with this MB in fact its one of the MB we use. But if you are using a CPU that has not been tested there is not a lot we can do.

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8M SOCKET 775 is supported by this board. I knew before I bought and I just confirmed with an Asus rep over the phone a minute ago.

As I mentioned earlier, I tested each of the modules at one at a time with no errors. The only time I get errors is when I have all four blades in at once.

Also try the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the TRC: to 24 and see if that helps,

I will see if that helps.

Archived