Corsair Community

DDR3: High Speed but High Latency-Is it Worth It?

I have 2 gigs of ram and I'm upgrading to 4 gigs. I'm considering whether to get 2 more Gigs of the DDR2 I have or purchase 4 gigs of DDR3. Some of the Corsair DDR3 (XMS3) modules I've seen have high speeds, but seem to have really high latencies. For example:

XMS3-PC10600 1333MHz (2 x 1024MB) Latency: 9-9-9-27 (CL9)

XMS3-PC8500 1066MHz (2 x 1024MB) Latency 7-7-7-21 (CL7)

These latencies seem really high! Don't they negate the benefits of higher speed to some degree? Right now I have 2 gigs of XMS2-6400 (800MHz), CL4. Seeing how high these latencies are for DDR3 (not to mention the price), do they really operate that much faster than high-end DDR2 (or for that matter, what I'm using)? I guess I'm trying to get at is which has more of an impact on improving performance, latency or speed (frequency)? Any expert opinions welcome..........

Yes, I agree I would have to install a new motherboard. I'm just curious theoretically what the answer is to this question. Would the DDR3 perform better than the DDR2 even with the high latencies? Any opinions welcome.

• Corsair Employees
Its still to new for some solid bench marks but the initial performance is not dramatic but as DDR3 scales up there will be a much grater performance gain. But right now there is a slight gain but not much. Wait for the Chipsets to mature a month or so and keep watching the reviews.

Archived