Corsair Community

Running same speed,different latency modules

newb

I'm upgrading from 2 to 4 gigs of RAM and I have a question. The 2 gigs of RAM i have now are 2 1 gig modules of Corsair XMS2-6400 (800MHz) with latencies of 5-5-5-12. (CL5) I was about to buy a second pair of these when I saw the identical pair of 1 gig modules (XMS2-6400, 800MHz,) but with lower latency timings of 4-4-4-12. (CL4). So if I were to buy two more gigs of the CL4 RAM and combine it with my present 2 gigs of CL5, would this be a major problem? ANy help would be appreciated.

• Corsair Employees

Previously answered this user a few times now I think!

You can add another set of the same memory you have now but you might be limited to DDR667 with 4 modules it would be best to replace what you have now with one set of Twin2x4096-6400C5DHX for best performance.

Ignore last post-accidentally used black font (newb)

RAMGUY (Or anyone else who can answer this too)_

Thanks for your response. Yes, I'm quite active on this forum. I'm a novice at this, so I dont quite understand something in your response:

"you might be limited to DDR667 with 4 modules it would be best to replace what you have now with one set of Twin2x4096-6400C5DHX for best performance."

Why would I be limited to DDR 667 with 4 modules? Im running Vista 64 Ultimate so it cant be a limitation of the software. Is it because I would manually adjust the timings of the CL5 to those of the CL4 pair? I'm out of my element here. Could you help me understand this?

Why would I be limited to DDR 667 with 4 modules? Im running Vista 64 Ultimate so it cant be a limitation of the software. Is it because I would manually adjust the timings of the CL5 to those of the CL4 pair? I'm out of my element here. Could you help me understand this?

It is a limitation of the chipset used on your MOBO. When you use 4 DIMMs it is double the load on the chipset Northbridge (NB) as 2 DIMMs. As a result, most times you have to lower the speed to compensate. And no, it has nothing to do with the CAS latency of the memory or the operating system used.

As a side note, this is a very good source of info: http://www.corsair.com/memory_basics/index.html

thanks for the link, it helps. My MOBO manual states it supports higher clock speeds than Im using now and 4 or more gigs total as well. My MOBO is an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe with a i975x chipset. Since the max allowable RAM speed is much higher than 800Mhz I would hope that it wouldnt force me to lower the speeds......

. My MOBO manual states it supports higher clock speeds than Im using now and 4 or more gigs total as well.
Well, what it doesn't say is that you cannot necessarily have both at the same time. The 975x chipset boards can usually run 4 DIMMs at DDR800 in most cases but your OCing is going to be limited.

Archived