Corsair Community

Ram Speed Comparison & Info Needed

NWPro

We have just purchased Corsair Value Select memory for a Mac G5 system (VSiGBKIT400) per a recommendation from a Sales Rep at Fry's Electronics. We were shopping for 1GB upgrades with comparable, or better, specs to the existing memory in our systems. We would like some information regarding the Speed of this memory based on Speed-Rating reports given by our System Profiling app... The existing memory in our system, (4) identical Kingston PC3200, 256MB stock-modules, has its speed rated as follows: PC3200U-30330; The new Corsair Value Select memory is rated as follows: PC3200U-25330. We would like to understand what these figures mean in relation to each other (e.g. does the Corsair rating of 25330 mean that it runs slower than the memory rated at 30330?) As we were shopping for High-Performance memory, and if the above speed figures do indeed mean that the Corsair Memory is running slower than our existing Kingston Memory, then we would certainly like to exchange what we were given for faster memory. Any hint as to what these published Speed Ratings mean as compared to the other modules in our system would be much appreciated. And, if the Value Select Memory is indeed a slower module than the others in our system, would you recommend a Corsair Model that would be comparable to our other modules. (We will include an attached copy of the Speed Rating page, .pdf format) Thank you for your time. Regards, Brendon McDonnell

• Corsair Employees
This # is something from your reseller, I am sorry but this is not provided by us. I would ask them to be sure. But from the looks of it, it might be the Cass timings the module uses. Cass 3-3-3 for your memory and ours at Cass 2.5-3-3. But I would ask your reseller to be sure. Also I would not mix our modules with these as ours are set to a faster spec and the system may slow the memory down to make them all work together. I would suggest that you match what you have or replace it all with our Modules. Or you use a module that would be to the manufacturers Spec. Like CM64SD512-3200.

Archived