Corsair Community

overlock more or low CAS?

I have a ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus MB, PD 830 OC'ed to 3.6 so on and so forth... my question is, which is better for ram OC more or go with lower timings?

I just purchased TWIN2X2048-6400C4, and i currently have it OC'ed @ 1000 mhz with timings of 5-5-5-14-2T, for some reason I cant get it to run at

4-4-4-12-2T, my volts are 2.1, and cant even get it to do that at 800 mhz.

so is ram faster when its clocked up high or closer to stock speeds and low timings? and again same voltage for both. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just for future reference for anyone reading this, I eventualy got the ram to run at the factory timings, but the performance was soooooo bad. Everything was much slower, my suggestion to anyone is to loosen the timings up and OC it to all get out. My ram is at 5-5-5-14-2T @ 1000 mhz, the perfomance is incredible when you OC it much more.

p.s. I had it OC'ed to 850 mhz at factory settings but still was no comparison to the 1000 mhz.

p.s.s. I still can not get my comp to even boot up with sli enabled, even with everything set at stock settings. Dont think its my board, but who knows....

Their promos ic's, where I bought them, in one the user reviews, someone was complaining how they were not micron, and the performance wasnt as good, but far as I can tell, when their at 1000 mhz and loosend timings, Everything is almost instant, i.e. Everything is atleast twice as fast if not better, I kid you not.

Also, I can get them to run faster, 1050 mhz or so, but when the temp. in my house gets above 80 F, they dont like me anymore, also when it gets up to 90 F or so I have to bring them back down to 960 mhz. Im in michigan, cant wait for the cold winter to come around to see how far I can get them to go with 50 F air. (dont have a/c)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, ide hate to bump this post back up, but I think its the right thing to do :sigh!:

As stated before, I was able to get this ram to 1000 mhz with CAS 5 timings.

For whatever reason, I am not able to get them past 940 mhz now with CAS 5, and they are unstable at that. These are PROMOS IC's, and as far as the enthusiasts opinion goes, I payed to much for value ram (well, I cant completely say that, I got aluminum heat sinks.......). I guess I should have researched it more, but if corsair is going to be a top name, you wouldnt think they would sell this garbage. Any other company has ram that will spit on these against the wind for the same price. They have lost me as a customer along with all my geek buddy's and avid gamers I have relations with. Im not trying to pick a bone with corsair, I just want people to know what they are buying.

Archived