Corsair Community

ASUS Striker Extreme & CM2X1024-8500C5D

Ngirl

I just started a system build and so far its been no fun at all. :(:

First question, is CM2X1024-8500C5D the same as TWIN2X2048-8500C5D G? The ram has the CM2 on it, but the packaging sticker that the gentleman scanned at the store is the TWIN. I think they are the same, but I want to make sure I got what I paid for.

The other problem is I can't finish my Windows XP installation. I get the blue screen of death on load. We started off getting blue screens when the raid 0driver and controller didn't load properly during the start of windows installation. Finally made it throught that, now I can't get the thing past 5 seconds of the windows loading screen. Everything I read so far on here says that default bios settings on our board won't work with the 1066 memory.

What settings should work? I ran memtest on each indiviual stick and with no errors. I ran memtest with both installed as well. I also tried leaving default settings and just changing the Memory voltage to 2.2. I am so frustrated I want my new toy... getting ready to throw it out the window. :)

Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme Bios 1102

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700

Memory: CM2X1024-8500C5D or TWIN2X2048-8500C5D G

Video Card # 1: Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB

Hard Drive # 1: WD Raptor 150 MB (Raid 0) WD1500AHFDRTL

Hard Drive # 2: WD Raptor 150 MB (Raid 0) WD1500AHFDRTL

Optical Drive # 1: Samsung Super-writemaster Double Layer DVD+R 8x/DVD-R 8x

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling SILENCER® 750 QUAD

Case: Thermaltake Kandalf

Sound Card: Soundblaster Fatal1ty X-fi

Monitor: NEC 19" LCD

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.2 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Followed all your advice and finally got my system to load and run windows without BSOD. However, I am still unable to run the RAM at 1066 rated speed and timings. All attempts to run at 1066mHZ and rated timings (5-5-5-15-2t; tRW5) Result in failure to post.

I have not yet attempted to run this memory at 800mHZ w/ tightened timings.

Any advice I can get to get my moneys worth out of spending the extra on the pc2-8500 instead of the 6400 would be appreciated, as of now the extra money spent has yielded me no performance increase that I can see.

Below is the process by which I have tried to get the RAM to post at 1066.

Bios version 1102

Set all defaults for MB

Set DRAM voltage to 2.200v

Disabled Legacy USB

Manually set RAM to 400mHZ (800 actual)

Manually set FSB to 286 (1066 actual)

Ran Memtest86 from memtest.org- No errors either chip individually, all Dimm slots tested

no errors together, Dimm slot pair A tested

Re-established Raid Array in bios

Re-boot and enter Bios

AI Tuning- Manual

System clocks- Default (PCI and SPP-MCP)

FSB-memory clock mode- Unlinked (also tried linked with ratio 1:1)

FSB-memory ratio- N/A (when in linked. 1:1 ratio when unlinked)

FSB (QDR), mHZ- 1066

Actual FSB (QDR), mHZ- 1066.7

Mem (DDR), mHZ- 1066

Actual MEM (DDR), mHZ- 1066.7

All memory timings IAW testing and qualifications (also tried auto)

All "overclocking" options - disabled

LDT- x5

Still can't get 1066 actual for RAM. Am I missing some bigger picture here?

OK, finally figured out what the SLI-Ready setting is.... EPP SPD right?

and the tested timings for 5-5-5-15-2t at 1066 are EPP enabled, so I enabled SLI-ready, CPUOC 0%. and the system posted at tightened timings

(leaving all timmings in auto)

Going to increase CPUOC and report back.

OK, somtimes it will post at CPUOC 0% and sometimes it will not.

When it does, CPU Z states RAM is running at:

voltage 1.96v, 400.9mHZ(800 effective)@ 5-4-4-12-1t

But CPU Z states that timings by SPD (EPP=YES) are:

533mHZ(1066 effective) @ 5-5-5-15-2t

SO.... WHY isn't it running at the rated timings if everything is in auto with SLi-ready enabled?????

HELP!

OK, I confirmed it actually posted with bios setting of EPP enabled. I am tired and not thinking too straight, so I had to double check by disabling SLI-ready (EPP).

Confirmed that when it posts successfully in standard jedec SPD, results are 400mHZ @ 5-5-5-18-2t (matches testing and qualification).

Can't for the life of me understand why it will only Post "sometimes" in EPP?

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.2 volts and then set the SLI Ready Memory to CPU 0%, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived