Corsair Community

Twin 2x2048-6400

sam180

I am running an Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe board with a Pentium D Presler 930 CPU and a 535W Enermax PSU. I can boot my machine no problem with either one of the 1GB DIMM's in Slot 1, but when I run both sticks the machine will not even POST. I have already replaced my processor and PSU once each, and my motherboard twice. This board is brand new from the factory (and the third one I've tried, no less), so I can't imagine the slot itself being bad. It also has the latest BIOS version. Is it possible to have DIMM's work fine solo but be incompatible with each other? This is supposed to be a matched pair. Any help is appreciated.

I had not made any manual adjustments in the BIOS as far as that goes, so it was all running on factory auto defaults. After changing the settings to manual, it lists the memory speed as 533mHz. Should I change it to 667?

By running on one DIMM. The machine boots normally all the way to Windows with no problem when running either DIMM in slot A1, but when I run both of them together in A1 and B1, no POST.

• 2 weeks later...
I received and installed the replacement pair today and still no POST with both sticks in - that is, in slots A1 and B1 (dual channel configuration). After talking with Asus tech support, they suggested I clear the CMOS and try both sticks in A1 and A2. The machine booted with no problems. I replaced the 2nd stick back into B1 and tried it once more in dual channel mode and again no POST. Apparently this particular model of memory is incapable of running in dual channel mode on this Asus board. Would it be possible to exchange this pair through Corsair for a different model pair that is compatible?

I've already replaced the MB twice and the PSU once. The PSU is a brand new Enermax 535W. I would think that would be enough power. I guess I'll either run it as is or try another brand of memory. I don't think Asus will replace my board a third time - and I don't really want to, either. :sigh!:

Thank you for replacing the TwinX sticks.

• Corsair Employees
I would contact them and make sure that they replaced your MB and did not just test it with one module then send it back to you, but we can try replacing your modules if you like but I would suggest checking for some other problem. Did you test the MB out of the case?

The serial # is different on the board so I know they gave me new one. At this point, I really don't think there is a problem with the board OR the memory. I think it's simply an incompatibility issue as they said. After finding this thread, I'm pretty well convinced, as it isn't just me with this problem:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55525

I looked on the QVL in my Asus manual and, in the 667mHz column, Corsair isn't even on the list for some reason. It was my mistake in purchasing the wrong two components without doing my research. I don't know why this particular board is so picky when it comes to RAM. I've never had this problem in the past with Asus OR Corsair parts, so that's why I didn't even consider it when trying to diagnose the problem.

Thank you for offering to replace them again, but I think new modules would have the same problem - there was probably nothing wrong with the ones I sent in already. I ordered some different sticks today that were fully tested with this board according to the QVL, so I'll see how they perform and go from there. And to answer your question; no, I haven't tried it with the MB out of the case. For now I'd like to hold that option in reserve after trying different modules.

Thanks again for all of your help. This certainly doesn't put me off of purchasing Corsair memory in the future. I know you guys have awesome products because I've purchased them many times before. I'll just make sure I get a board that's compatible with them next time. :)

• Corsair Employees
There is no compatibility issue with this MB, we use it in our lab for testing, the CPU you have my be the issue, did you try and set the memory frequency at DDR533 and have you tested the modules one at a time is all of the slots?

Archived