Corsair Community

ABIT AV8 works with only one VS512MB400

Pifec

Hi there.

I recently updated my video card from a Nvidia MX440 to a Nvidia 7600 GT. Now I have huge problem of unstability: games and windows crashes, reboot, etc. It used to work without problem with the prevous Video card.

I have two VS512MB400 modules and if I test them together with memtest, it outputs a lot of errors (at the first pass).

However, if I remove one of them and test only one module at a time, memtest works fine. Hence, each module is ok.

I set the VRAM to +2.8V but memtest is still failling with two modules.

Is there any BIOS setting I can do to improve the stabillity of the system?

Thanks.

My config is :

Abit AV8

1 Gb : 2 * VS512MB400

Power : 400W

GC : Nvidia 7600GT

• Corsair Employees
You might need a Bigger PSU but I would suggest testing the modules with the old Video card to be sure, then if it pass with the old Video card and after you install the New Video card load setup defaults and set the memory Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the AGP Voltage to 1.6 Volts and test the system again with Legacy USB Disabled with http://www.memtest.org.

You might need a Bigger PSU but I would suggest testing the modules with the old Video card to be sure, then if it pass with the old Video card and after you install the New Video card load setup defaults and set the memory Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the AGP Voltage to 1.6 Volts and test the system again with Legacy USB Disabled with http://www.memtest.org.

Hi

I tried with the old video card but with the two modules it is not working.

I have errors with memtest even if I increase the voltage to 2.7 Volts.

I am a bit puzzled now...

Any hints?

Hi

I tried with the old video card but with the two modules it is not working.

I have errors with memtest even if I increase the voltage to 2.7 Volts.

I am a bit puzzled now...

Any hints?

Did you Memtest each module individually for 3-5 passes each?

• Corsair Employees
If you do get errors with one module let's get them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Hi.

Thanks for you advices.

I ran a memtest on each module individually

For the first module I got 3 errors after 10 hours (24 passes). With two errors at the same address.

For the second module I got no error after 5 hours (12 passes).

With each individual module I get far less error than when they are together on the MB (10 error per pass or so when they are togehter).

Do you think I should ask for an exchange? If yes should I ask for replace both modules or only the "defective" one?

Without memory I will not be able to use my computer in the meantime and since I am in France it can take a while before I got the new part(s).

Best regards.

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest testing the memory in another system, if you have a failing module it will fail at the same address usually on a lower test like 1-4 and be consistent. If its some other problem the errors will be more random and on a higher test.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been able to find an other MB to test my ram but I tested other modules (from a different brand) on my MB and I also used a stronger PSU.

I noticed that memtest went fine with the other modules, hence I deduced that my MB was ok.

With a stronger PSU I got fewer memtest error.

So I supposed that it was a PSU problem and I bought a strong one (600w).

Now memtest work fine and the system is stable.

I take this opportunity to buy to more 512MB VR modules and upgraded my PC with 2GB of mem.

It is now very stable and memtest does not fail anymore with a memory voltage of 2.7V and a 333 DDR setting (which is required for a dual chanel with 4 modules on the ABIT AV8).

Thanks for your help in finding what was wrong with my system.

Archived