Corsair Community

Corsair XMS2-5400C4 compatibility issues

Chris Willocks

Hi, I have a Mesh Computers Elite E6600 PC which has an Asus P5N32-SLI Premium motherboard, an Asus ATI Radeon X1950XTX video card, Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit edition, an Intel Core 2 E6600 processor and 2 x 1GB Elixir PC2-5300U-555-12-E1 M2Y1G64TU8HB0B-3C RAM. The problem is that I have just purchased 2 x Corsair 1GB DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 TwinX RAM modules for my PC, but when I install the modules into my computer (meaning that I have 4GB RAM) and start it up, it's performance is very poor. It takes about 5 minutes to load up. However when I use 2GB of either the Corsair 1GB DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 TwinX RAM modules or 2GB of the Elixir PC2-5300U-555-12-E1 modules, they work great. But its just when all four modules are installed into my PC when the trouble starts. Is there anything that I can do? Please do not get too technical, as I am only a newbie.

Thanks

Chris

Chris you should never mix memory with any system. What are the rated timings of the other modules?

Unfortunately, I am not sure of the timings.

but does this mean:

1. That I will possibly have two buy two more Corsair 1GB DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 TwinX RAM modules to match the other two Corsair modules that I have just bought in order for my system to work correctly with 4GB because memory of different brands should not be mixed, or not?

2. Also, is the fact that two of the modules that I used were Elixir and the other two were Corsair the reason behind why my PC was not performing very well when I had the modules installed? Or was it to do with the fact that Windows Vista 32-bit only supports up to 3GB? I am now thinking of buying 2 512Mb Corsair DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 TwinX RAM modules to take my system up to 3GB, because I am apprehensive about adding another 2GB in case it doesn't work. What would you recommend, 3GB, or 4GB of RAM?

3. Is the Asus P5N32-SLI Premium compatible with having 4GB of memory?

I greatly appreciate your help.

Regards

Chris

• Corsair Employees
With out knowing what the other modules are yes that may be the reason for the problems. And that MB will support 64 Bit so that is not a problem, but in a 32-Bit O.S. you will never be able to see the full four Gig of memory, as far as how to solve the problem the information I asked for whould be a good place to start.

With out knowing what the other modules are yes that may be the reason for the problems. And that MB will support 64 Bit so that is not a problem, but in a 32-Bit O.S. you will never be able to see the full four Gig of memory, as far as how to solve the problem the information I asked for whould be a good place to start.

I think that it has timings of 3-4-4-8. Although I am not certain.

Archived