Corsair Community

TYAN MPX RAM Woes

Zombie9X

Ram Guy, I currently own a TYAN Tiger MPX mobo, but intend to switch to an Opteron/KT8 combo in the near future. As I wanted to upgrade my mem from 512K to 1GB, I assumed I could purchase the TWINX1024RE-3200LLPT, use it on my MPX for the time being, then move it to the KT8 when the time (re: $$$) was right. Boy, was I ever wrong. Although my current CMX256A-3500C2PT works just fine, the TWINX just gives me 4 beeps and a blank screen. What have I done? Is it something I can change in jumpers (i.e., voltage)? If there's no resolution, what ARE the specs I should have been watching when I attempted the upgrade? Any help is appreciated...

• Corsair Employees
Don’t get me wrong here, but the AMD MPX chipset was a bit picky with memory. But with these modules and this MB. I would try and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-3-6 and see if that will not let the system post. You may have to use the other memory to set the timings and then exit saving changes and let it boot to a floppy then shut down and swap the modules.

[quote name='RAM GUY']Don’t get me wrong here, but the AMD MPX chipset was a bit picky with memory. But with these modules and this MB. I would try and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-3-6 and see if that will not let the system post. You may have to use the other memory to set the timings and then exit saving changes and let it boot to a floppy then shut down and swap the modules.[/QUOTE] Ram Guy, You're the coolest; I hope I can adjust those settings with TYAN's latest flash (ver 4.06); they seem to have done away with a lot of the RAM tweaks. I do have a couple more questions, though: 1. Can you explain to me what latency settings represent (i.e., Cass 2-3-2-6)? 2. Should the voltage settings be changed as well (if possible), or are they transparent to the mobo (i.e., 2.5v vs. 2.6v)?

• Corsair Employees
Please use this a reference: DRAM Configuration: Manual DRAM Clock: 200 MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T And Yes I would if you have the settings for Dim voltage and you can change it, please set to 2.7X Volts.

Archived