Corsair Community

Best memory for Asus Striker Extreme

MoKuM

Hi!

Could you please help me deciding which Corsair memory is the best for the Asus Striker Extreme? I would like to overclock and use 4gig of memory in Vista 64bit.

Would you recommend PC2-8500U or PC2-6400U Dominator Kits?

Thank you very much for your help!

Bye,

MoKuM

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this thread looking for this exact type of question and since you suggest this type of memory could you list the best possible timimings and voltages or any other type of settings in the BIOS that need to be manualy adjusted for this memory for the best performance.

:sunglasse

• 3 weeks later...
I would suggest Twin2x4096-6400C5DHX if you want 4 Gig for best performance.

Im looking at this same option, but isnt it better to use 4x 1Gb instead of 2x 2Gb ?

Wont you get twice the bandwith for using 4 banks instead of 2

• Corsair Employees
Not always, there will some advantage because of bank interleave, that is true, if the chipset supports that feature. However, with any un-buffered memory and chipset as you add more modules the memory controller will slow the memory down so it can properly address all of the memory.

That was quick, any experiences on this board with 4x 1gb versus 2x 2??

From my research on the interweb it points that you absolutly HAVE to use ram from the asus QVL list or you'll end up with lots of problems most likly.

I was looking at getting 2x TWIN2X2048-6400 which has CM2X1024-6400C4, which is on the QVL and listed for 4 at the same time.

And there are no 2Gb dims on the QVL.

• Corsair Employees
QVL just means what they have tested, and the Twin2x4096-6400C5DHX has only just been released and I don't know that we ever sent them memory for this I think they purchase the modules they test with.

Ok thanks, i think i'll just stick with the 4x1 just to play it on the safe side because i really hate unstable systems for odd reasons ;)

Both asus and the main Corsair site show those to be recommended/tested, i'll just up the frequency a tiny bit to compensate for speed loss of having 4 banks.

I might even keep 2 banks in a bag until vista is usable, cause thats the only reason to get 4Gb of ram right now, if you're not a graphical artist :)

• Corsair Employees

Please see the Performance Reports on these modules and other like modules to get an idea of the MB's and what we did to run them at the tested settings.

Also You'll need to install MS patch 929777 from Microsoft for more than 3 GIG in Win Vista. you can search for it at http://www.microsoft.com. Watch the version of Vista there is more than one version of this patch.

Wow Ram Guy, looks like someone is after your job...I built many systems for friends and family, and I have used a variety of memory recommended by Corsair that were NOT on the ASUS QV list. I have never had any hiccups or problems so far. Thanks Ram Guy for providing some place to go for memory advice, cause I remember the days when it was hit and miss and returning and buying memory till it ran smoothly...lol.

Archived