Corsair Community

Need Help on Memory Upgrade if Possible

JustinBrave

Hello All and thanks for reading,

I purchased my first pc about 3 and a half years ago and it is starting to get a little outdated. My friend is donating an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard and a processor to me and I am trying to figure out my options as far as memory goes. I know from reading all the posts here, that the A8V Deluxe has issues running with 4 sticks of dual channel memory (that it wants to drop the FSB to 333), especially with the older processors but the one I was given is fairly new. I am wanting to cannibalize parts from my old pc and make one fully functional pc once it's all said and done. Here is what I am going to end up having.

AMD Opteron 185 Denmark Processor (Socket 939) - I Believe this is rated as an E6

Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard

From my old PC I have - 2x512 Corsair XMS-PC3200LL - (I think this is rated for 400 Mhz)

What I would like is to bump this system up to 2GB. I know most posts have recommended dumping the older 1 GB and buying 2x1024 paired sticks, but I don't have much money to spend and I was hoping that I could add another set of 2x512 sticks into the second channel. I read in some of the posts that the new processors could handle that.

The memory I was looking at would be Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145449

If you could give me a recommendation on whether this would work or not, that would be a great help. Thanks in advance for your time.

Archived