Corsair Community

MSI and TWIN2X2048-6400 timing problem

nchrisc

I just got TWIN2X2048-6400 matched set, and everything boots and runs fine on my MSI P965 NEO F/ E6600 -- everything but the timings. Auto settings show 5-5-5-18 on CPU-Z. If I try to set timings & voltage manually, they are worse -- 20-23 tRAS instead of 18.

No other memory in machine.

How can I make the memory work at spec timings? Is something broken? Did they send me the wrong thing - (timings table shows 5-5-5-18) ??

Thanks,

Chris

p.s. My prior 2x512 memory ran at 5-5-5-12 on auto settings.

solidus0048.png.df68b6aeb212885217c70b57fb159401.png

solidus0049.png.9b63c28dc780c2c90f50c3050124266f.png

What is the performance effect of high tRAS? I cannot get my new 2x1024 sticks to perform better than 18:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60852

But what is the real effect of this? Some things I have read say it really doesn't effect performance. Some say it might. Computer is used for trading in stock market - processing of high volume realtime data.

Any advice? Other than the CPU-Z reported timings, my new memory seems to work fine.

Thanks,

Chris

• Corsair Employees
Are you looking under the SPD Tab? If so look under the Memory Tab to see what the chipset is running the timings at. And if its too aggressive it might corrupt the HDD, but TRAS will have little change in performance using the system, but 15-18 should give the best performance in a memory benchmark.

Thanks. What I am hearing is that some MSI 965 boards don't handle voltage adj correctly. I found some folks on the Newegg forum who had similar problems.

I will drop MSI a line, but don't expect a real solution. Nonetheless, I plan on keeping the memory. For my purpose, what I am hearing from various places is it really won't matter.

Thanks again, Ram guy

Archived