Corsair Community

problem with vs512mb400

9voltchicken

I am having an issue with my memory. I bought 2x vs512mb400 approx. 5 months ago with my new machine. Recently I ordered the same exact kit off newegg. I installed it and it boots up fine with one major exception. Everything locks up shortly after I start a program. I removed the old memory and installed just the new kit, everything works as it should. I do have the latest drivers and bios version. Everyone I have talked to was unable to provide a solution or a probable cause of the malfunction.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

I performed all the tests with memtest and uncovered zero errors. I am curious though. What difference does changing the voltage and memory frequency make? What impacts on performance does it have? So far I am pleased with the results, since it has yet to crash on me.

In either case I thank you for your assistance.

What difference does changing the voltage and memory frequency make? What impacts on performance does it have?

Changing the memory frequency to DDR333 (PC2700) may be needed if you're running more than two sticks of memory with your CPU in order to run stably because your CPU's memory controller may not be able to run more than two sticks of memory at the full DDR400 (PC3200) speed. And unlike Asus (whose Socket 939 motherboards' BIOSes default to the lower DDR333 speed with more than two sticks of memory installed), the Abit motherboard's BIOS does not default the memory speed to a lower speed setting even with four sticks of memory installed, increasing the potential for crashes and lock-ups.

Archived