Corsair Community

Corsair HX520W w/ 2900XT

doggytreat

Heya, Folks! Bit of a problem here...my new nightmare...errr system is acting funky. I just tried to fire it up for the first time yesterday - I'll categorize what happens.

Other than what I have done below, I have checked jumper configurations, unplugged different devices and made sure all power connectors are fastened on the board (p4 4 pin, 8 and 6 pin connectors on 2900, PCI-E connector etc). Sound like I should opt for a 620 or is the PSU simply sound ca putt? Or is the 520W (550W recommended from ATI -- figured a heavy duty 520W would do the job or at LEAST post) would do the job...maybe I was wrong?

Everything connected:

-------------------------

Power button does NOT respond. A sort of chirping noise with a sizzle emmitts from the power supply when the power button is pressed if you put your ear up to it. Green mobo LED is lit and NIC card LED's are lit.

Everything connected with 8-pin 2900XT power connector removed:

-------------------------

System fires up -- all fans, LED's and drives fire up BUT the 2900XT fan spins full speed, then dies (with the fan LED's on the card). Card fan spins up again, then spins down...up, down...up, down. Sometimes it does it once, sometimes it will do it a dozen times upon startup. Hooking DVI connector to the board displays no video on my screen -- remains in suspend mode.

Fresh build...that's what makes it so hard to diagnose. I just find it strange that when I have the 8 pin connector on the card, the PSU makes that weird quick chirp when I press power as if it's TRYING to fire it up.

Additional components to my rig besides the ones I've listed in the profile are 2 120MM fans and 1 92MM fan. I have no other wild components that could be causing a potentially overpowering draw from the PSU...maybe this model just wont cut it.

I'm thinking of sending it RMA and getting the 620W to diagnose but I'm not sure if I should before spending the extra money on restocking fees and return shipping as well as the extra $40 for the higher model.

EDIT: I just noticed something interesting just now...I tried it a couple of times to confirm that I was pushing the power button hard enough. Sometimes when I push in power, it will not power on. At times there is a delay before it powers on, or I will need to push power several times. The last time I had this happen to me was on my original 486 back when I added a sound blaster pro and a single speed cd-rom - you'd have to push power a few times for it to power on, or sometimes it would fire up on the first try if sitting for a while. After a PSU replacement it worked fine. Could this be an accurate diagnoses? Though its much older hardware I'm comparing it to, it's still based on the same electric principal. I'm just afraid that I will receive a new PSU from Corsair and the card has the same behavior.

Do you have any way to flash the bios on the board? I'm wondering if the board supports that card yet? A buddy, local shop, or you using a substitute video card would do the trick.

Also, if you have not tried it, you may want to remove the MOBO from the case and try posting with a single DIMM, the CPU, and video card to see if you have a case short.

Do you have any way to flash the bios on the board? I'm wondering if the board supports that card yet? A buddy, local shop, or you using a substitute video card would do the trick.

Also, if you have not tried it, you may want to remove the MOBO from the case and try posting with a single DIMM, the CPU, and video card to see if you have a case short.

I'll give that a go. Thank you, Sir!

Heh, sorry I got a little foolish and pried out my main board first. Same behavior as it was inside of the case -- I do have a Geforce 256 AGP hanging around...man this is embarrassing but I'm new to the whole PCI-E interface. I'm not even sure if they are reverse compatible, but I'll gently try inserting the board. Read the mobo manual and it doesn't say anything about AGP interface compatibility.

I appreciate your troubleshooting tips a lot mike. Thank you for putting up with me!

Edit: not sure if it matters but I did notice another thing. If I have the DVI cable on my monitor while the system is on it will be in suspend mode. If I remove it, the monitor will wake up and flash the "Check Cable" message with the color wheel. I guess it's seeing something?

Don't worry I didn't - I noticed that there was many ways to fit it in and decided that it's DEFINITELY not right : P

EDIT: I ran out and got a new power supply today - an antec 650W (it was all that was available and CompUSA is out of business in two locations around here). Same result here...if the 8-pin is plugged in, the PSU chirps when I hit power. If I power it up without the 8-pin, the video card does the pulsing fan and LED trick. At least I know it's not the PSU and I can get a full refund without having to RMA the Corsair with shipping charges followed by a restocking fee smack.

Well, there are two more possibilities. I'm thinking I should send the card back to Sapphire and receive a repair / new card. There is always the possibility of it being a MOBO firmware/BIOS issue which would mean I still need to get a vanilla card. I'll get it going I'm sure...it's just going to take a little over a week considering I need to wait for the stuff to ship and assuming I get it right on the last component I try ( which is bound to happen : P )

What would you folks recommend? Sending back the card first for a swap or trying to order a vanilla card to eliminate the possibility of it being the mobo, and so that I can flash the motherboard BIOS? Or should I just send back the motherboard. Arg! Three combinations, and one of them is risky. RMA on video cards can be strict and you only get about 5-7 days, most spent on shipping time, even from the egg (which happened to my 2900 due to the Holiday Weekend).

Spec, you've been great to me all along. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, i have a similar issue. my radeon x1800xt works on my new system build but my hd 2900xt wont. the fan spins, the computer boots fine, but no picture. i read this page and was hoping i might be able to help. im going to try and flash my bios and see if it fixes this issue. if not i will probably have to return this card. i dunno newegg's return policy, i have never got a defective product before. ill let you know if the bios flash works. however u can get a pretty cheap pci express card. i would recommend one anyway just in case, i have a room full of extra parts that i didnt think i would need till stuff like that happens...GOOD LUCK!

Man, you are such a noob.

First of all, the 8 ping plug on the 520 is NOT for your freaking graphic card, it's designed for the Intel CPUs.

Here is what you do:

If you are using Intel processor, plug the 8 ping to the MB to power up your CPU. Plug both 6 ping PCI-E connectors to your 2900XT card. Don't argue with me the 8 ping crap, just do it.

If you are using AMD processor, plug the 4 ping to the MB to power up your CPU. Plug both 6 ping PCI-E cables to your graphic card, ignore the 8 ping connector.

Man, you are such a noob.

First of all, the 8 ping plug on the 520 is NOT for your freaking graphic card, it's designed for the Intel CPUs.

Here is what you do:

If you are using Intel processor, plug the 8 ping to the MB to power up your CPU. Plug both 6 ping PCI-E connectors to your 2900XT card. Don't argue with me the 8 ping crap, just do it.

If you are using AMD processor, plug the 4 ping to the MB to power up your CPU. Plug both 6 ping PCI-E cables to your graphic card, ignore the 8 ping connector.

Easy there, no need for name calling. We were all fist time builders at some point.

First, the OP here never stated that he plugged the 8pin plug from the PSU into the video card. You may want to clarify that before you jump to conclusions.

And, some AMD based boards use the supplemental 8 pin power instead of the 4 pin. It's not only for Intel based boards.

Archived