Corsair Community

Twin2x2048-6400C4 and P5W DH Deluxe missing RAM

mfcmfc

I installed 2 1 GB sticks in and everything works fine. When I add an additional 2 1 GB sticks, the two additional sticks don't show up in the bios (although they show up as being present in the SiSoftware Sandra utility). When I add 2 512MB sticks (TWIN2x1024-6400C4), only an additional 512MB shows up.

I am using the latest 2004 BIOS. The bios is using all the auto-detect defaults. I also tried specifying the speeds precisely, but that didn't help.

I talked to Asus tech support who said that it was a RAM problem and I should contact the manufacturer. The tech support said that if I only have two sticks in, the bios should correctly detect that the speed of the RAM. However the RAM is PC-6400, but the bios is detecting that the RAM is PC-5300, which indicates a problem with RAM compatiblity (according to the Asus tech person).

So what do I do to get the BIOS to see all 4 GB?

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules and the latest bios load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and then set the memory frequency at DDR667 and then look for a setting to re-map the memory and then exit saving changes and run http://www.memtest.org and see how much memory is showing.

With 4 modules and the latest bios load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and then set the memory frequency at DDR667 and then look for a setting to re-map the memory and then exit saving changes and run http://www.memtest.org and see how much memory is showing.

Thank you for helping. I did this one step at a time. The first two changes didn't help by themselves, but enabling that memory mapping setting got all 4GB to show up in the BIOS and in memtest. However, there is a note next to that setting saying to only enable it for 64 bit OSs, which I don't have. I run XP Pro. When XP loads, it still only sees 2GB even though the BIOS now sees all 4GB. Is this symptomatic of a fixable problem?

• Corsair Employees

Its may not be a problem its normal for a 32-Bit O.S.

Example:

4-1,0 Gig = (4096) Giga Bytes X 8 = 34,359,738,368 Bits

Any 32 Bit O.S. or Chipset will only see 32,000,000,000 Bits

Then it would have to subtract any other memory used in the system like for your Video card and or cache on your CPU, LAN or Modem, and the MB bios may reserve some for caching as well. That would make the total size of memory accessible to your system, something between 2.6 to 3.2 Gigs of available memory.

If the 32-bit limitation was the factor, why would adding two 512 MB sticks increase the RAM to 2.5GB, while two 1GB sticks don't increase the RAM at all. Shouldn't adding two 1GB sticks also increase the RAM to 2.5, if 2.5 was the 32-bit limit? Thank you.

Archived