Corsair Community

HX520 Clicking Sound

Cheffron

Hello,

I'm getting the exact same clicking sound on my HX520w PS. I do beleive it is a low load issue. When the system first comes on and the fans are spinning at top speed, there is no clicking sound, once they slow down it reappears. I've checked the fans and every other component in the system. It's definately the PS under low load condidtions.

I've already gone through two with the same result, and after seeing the other posts on this board I'm wondering if I should return it altogeather for another model.

Anyone with this problem actually have had it resolved without increasing the load ?

Hello,

I'm getting the exact same clicking sound on my HX520w PS. I do beleive it is a low load issue. When the system first comes on and the fans are spinning at top speed, there is no clicking sound, once they slow down it reappears. I've checked the fans and every other component in the system. It's definately the PS under low load condidtions.

I've already gone through two with the same result, and after seeing the other posts on this board I'm wondering if I should return it altogeather for another model.

Anyone with this problem actually have had it resolved without increasing the load ?

Hi,

I bought a Corsair HX 620 psu last week.

Today I tested the psu before putting it inside the computer case and I found the same sound Cheffron is describing.

I used a psu tester, only the 24 pin and 8 pins were connected.

This clickin sound comes from the psu circuits, not the fan which is very silent.

Is this a defect ? Do I have to rma the unit (less than 5 days since I bough it) or is this clicking sound considered normal ?

I'm not putting the psu inside the computer, I'm taking no risks maybe the psu is really defective.

Can someone from Corsair shed light on this issue please.

• Corsair Employees
Hi,

I bought a Corsair HX 620 psu last week.

Today I tested the psu before putting it inside the computer case and I found the same sound Cheffron is describing.

I used a psu tester, only the 24 pin and 8 pins were connected.

This clickin sound comes from the psu circuits, not the fan which is very silent.

Is this a defect ? Do I have to rma the unit (less than 5 days since I bough it) or is this clicking sound considered normal ?

I'm not putting the psu inside the computer, I'm taking no risks maybe the psu is really defective.

Can someone from Corsair shed light on this issue please.

Sure thing. The noise you are both describing happens on a few models at very low load. Most high-efficiency power supplies have the same type of issue, but it's not a guarantee. We might test 10 HX520 PSUs at 120W and see the noise occur on 1 of them, it's difficult to say how often it happens because most people buying a 520 or 620W PSU use more power than that even at idle.

It's not a defect, and it has no negative effect on other components.

Cheffron, I'm afraid that there are only two solutions, one of which is to increase the system load slightly, and the other is to try and RMA the unit once more for a different HX520. It is not a guarantee this noise will occur, it happens very rarely, and it sounds like you got two in a row against the odds.

Goldorak, your PSU should be fine, testing on a PSU tester provides no load at all, and it's more likely to hear the noise when using the PSU tester than when it's running a motherboard, cpu, hard drives, video card, fans, ram, etc. Increasing the load to the PSU will remove the noise. Of course, if you are uncomfortable with this, you can always RMA the unit, but the noise you are hearing will not be there under increased load and will not harm your components in any way. If it were me, I'd plug it into the system and see if the noise goes away.

Sure thing. The noise you are both describing happens on a few models at very low load. Most high-efficiency power supplies have the same type of issue, but it's not a guarantee. We might test 10 HX520 PSUs at 120W and see the noise occur on 1 of them, it's difficult to say how often it happens because most people buying a 520 or 620W PSU use more power than that even at idle.

It's not a defect, and it has no negative effect on other components.

Goldorak, your PSU should be fine, testing on a PSU tester provides no load at all, and it's more likely to hear the noise when using the PSU tester than when it's running a motherboard, cpu, hard drives, video card, fans, ram, etc. Increasing the load to the PSU will remove the noise. Of course, if you are uncomfortable with this, you can always RMA the unit, but the noise you are hearing will not be there under increased load and will not harm your components in any way. If it were me, I'd plug it into the system and see if the noise goes away.

Thanks for the info Power Guy. :):

I had the psu tested on a computer and in effect the clicking sound disappeared.

The psu is working normally so there is no reason to rma it.

I do have this sound too. Just like the ignition from an old oven with gas. :laughing:

Well if you tell me, it is nothing like a defect, it´s okay for me. I just heard this sound as you described with no load. I just plugged it in and wanted to listen to the fan withot my PC. And then I heard it, but I guess it is gone now, while running in my rig. :sunglasse

Only if I start my PC I have a higher frequency noise. That is damn terrible. What is that.

It also happens with some different webpages and scrolling them.

Very quiet fan ;):

This PSU stays very cool even with load it doesn´t take off.

Hey while registering I was asked about my components, I forgot to mention my HX620. Wher can I add the information now? :):

Are you using an APC or UPC battery Backup?

And you can update your profile under USER CP

Well, I am not sure what this UPC / APC is. I have plugged the PSU into an adapter with 5 more possibillities to plug something in and this is plugged into the wall.

I think we don´t have this in germany. Just regular 220V.

If you mean anything like this: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/U/UPS.html

I don´t need it because it is private use only. So I don´t think it is necessary.

No, I don´t think it makes sense to replace it. It is not produced by the PSU self. The clicking sound yes, but the (I call it a feep) feeping sound must be produced by my Board or CPU.

I had a BeQuiet and it did the same. Very strange is, that it really comes out of the PSU.

I just plugged everything in, but had the PSU outside and the feep came directly from the PSU inside.

Well I plugged everything except Board an CPU into another PSU and the sound still comes from the PSU with board/CPU. That should be a way to test it.

Just for you, if anybody should have an equal problem.

I heard about Asus problems in that case.

Archived