Corsair Community

Corsair Twin2X2048-6400C4PRO Random BSODs

I put this system together, the end of last month..

Asus Striker Extreme

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO

BFG Tech NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB PCIe

WD Caviar SE16 500 GB, SATA, 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM

LG Super-Multi GSA-H42LI

Cooler Master - Real Power Pro 850W

Cooler Master - CM Stacker 832 (RC832)

Gateway FPD2485W TFT LCD HD

I've had so many problems, and finally, my path has taken me to this forum. I've had random BSOD's on the desktop, in Photoshop, Outlook, and especially gaming. Though with the gaming, it's more of a stuttering sound, and then the display goes off and I'm forced to reboot..

I've tested everything.. Hit the forums for individual pieces.. Motherboard, video card, and now RAM. I'm running 1102 bios, I set the mem volt to 2.1 amd SLI Ready Mem to CPU Max for testing.. Ran the memtest.org tests.. First stick came up bad with in 5 minutes. Second stick ran through 3 complete passes before I stopped it. Now, I'm running just the 1gig stick that tested good. However, I'm on Windows Vista, and I'm certainly limited by doing so. Photoshop is horrible, and gaming isn't possible. Certainly not what I expected 30 days ago when I started putting this system together.

Is there anything else I should do? Is this indicative of a bad stick? Also, should I have to RMA these, please tell me that I'll receive my new sticks first. I can't possibly have this system down for days at a time. Regardless of my lockups, this is my email system for two businesses and at least 14 accounts. Your assistance and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

John J. Schrimpf.

Thank you for the prompt response. However, you missed one of my concerns pertaining to downtime on this system while RMA'ing the RAM. I simply can not afford the downtime during this upcoming week. How can I go about having the RAM shipped to me prior to me returning the stick currently in my system?

To add, the form for requesting an RMA is simply not taking me to a next page upon completion. I do not have a firewall or pop-up blocker of anytime installed. Just to make certain, it says to close the page after clicking submit. This is correct, right?

• Corsair Employees

You can talk to our customer service about the down time and see if there is anything they can do to help you get the RMA done faster, 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "0".

And that is normal the On Line RMA Request form will just close once you hit submit and it will take 24-48 business hours to get a reply excluding weekends and Holidays. If not please call them at 888-222-4346 Ext "0" or 510-657-8747 Ext "0".

As to not leave anyone in the dark, I'd like to say that I've swapped out my Power Supply, with no luck.. Tonight, I swapped my 8800gtx for a friends 6600gt or whatever it is.. I have had no errors running the memory tests with this video card, and have yet to have a lock-up in windows.

So, my next question is as follows... Is it typical of bad ram on a video card to cause faults to the computer while running RAM tests from memtest.org. Knowing that it isn't testing the video card RAM on any level, I'm simply wondering if a bad video card would still lead to bad test results concerning my RAM.

Any information would be appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
Yes a bad or power hungry Video card could generate errors in memtest. And if changing the Video card stopped the errors I would maybe test the Video card in another system, but with that Video card you need about 30 amps on the 12 Volt Rail.

Archived