Corsair Community

Apparently Faulty Module - Corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200c2pt

I have been using Corsair memory almost exclusively in my PC's for several years now and I find it to be some of the best memory on the market today. However, I regret to say that it appears that I may have a faulty module.

About a year ago, I purchased components and built a new PC. Needless to say, I put Corsair memory in - I purchased a 2x1GB memory pair of XMS Twinx2048-3200c2pt. My PC had been running error-free since then until just recently when I started experiencing a number of memory errors, crashing applications and operating system, etc. Through a number of tests, including removing my sound cards and resetting my BIOS to the defaults, I finally brought in my Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) so that I could run some lower-level tests.

In my tests, most all of my hardware came back without error, but I started seeing errors when testing my memory with MemTest86+. With these results, I started trying to simply move the memory modules to different slots (to see if I might have a bad slot on my motherboard). This didn't help. I took out one memory stick at a time (I *had* a total of three modules in there, including another 1GB stick of Corsair XMS, although I can't remember the model number at this time). When I stopped getting errors with only one module left on my board, I ran some tests and it all appeared to be working normally. I put the other module (the one that my tests hadn't specifically identified as problematic), and my PC is still running normally on 2GB of Corsair memory.

At this time, I still have the module that is apparently bad. I would like to get my system back to "full strength" with 3GB of memory by RMA'ing and replacing the faulty module. Maybe one of these days I'll replace that "3rd-wheel" with another twin-pack of memory, but for now we'll leave it at that. Please let me know if there is any additional information you require. Thank you for your time.

• 1 month later...

Hello again. I just wanted to thank you for your assistance with this matter. I have shipped the faulty module, along with its pair back for replacement. Unfortunately, I'm in the process of moving to a new address. Because of this, my e-mail account with my ISP (along with my connection) is temporarily disabled, so I haven't been able to receive updates on the RMA. If any e-mail to me has been rejected, this is why, and I apologize.

I should have my Inet connection back today, and hopefully my e-mail address was not totally disabled in the meantime. If there is any way I could receive an update to my RMA status via these forums today, however, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Archived