Corsair Community

HX620W running very hot. Very slow fan.

purge98

Intel Core Duo x6800

8800GTX

2xSata HDD

2x1GB DDR2

2xDVD

I power this little lot with a Corsair HX620W PSU.

Once the system is up to operating temp but just idling and with the case lid on, the PSU runs Very hot. The fan however never runs faster than it does when you first turn on the pc. ie. it doesn't ever change speed.

If I remove the case lid the PSU cools down to an acceptable level.

If I leave the lid on for several hours, the PSU gets so hot that it eventually starts to drop one of the DVD drives off line.

Is the PSU fan meant to speed up when the unit gets hot or is it meant to just run at a slow speed all the time?

How has this power supply been designed?

Does the fan speed increase with heat sink temperature or does it increase with current load?

Someone must know please?

Is the PSU operating correctly if the output air is above 55c and the fan is still idling and the PSU shuts down the power to one of the DVDs connected due to overheating?

How can I test the fan is operating at the correct speed?

Which leads do I short out to do this?

• Corsair Employees

Based on what you have posted I would check that the other fans in your system are blowing air in the right direction so the airflow is threw your system.

But I have no problem replacing the PSU if you like. And the Fan is controlled internally there is no way yo set it to any one speed.

• 4 weeks later...
Based on what you have posted I would check that the other fans in your system are blowing air in the right direction so the airflow is threw your system.

But I have no problem replacing the PSU if you like. And the Fan is controlled internally there is no way yo set it to any one speed.

Thanks for the reply Guy.

I've changed cases and now run a Zalman GT1000. Everything is cool as a cucumber now :D:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=275&code=031

Later

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the reply Guy.

I've changed cases and now run a Zalman GT1000. Everything is cool as a cucumber now :D:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=275&code=031

Later

Purge98, I'm thinking about getting the Zalman GT1000 case to match with my HX620W PSU. Is this case really quiet as Zalman claims it to be? Can you hear the fan noise like from a foot way? What are your overall temps (cpu, case, mb) Thanks!

PS. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

My HX620W is running very Hot also, I think i maybe cooking it, most of the heat is being generated at the back of the PSU where the cables plug in to it, the heat is enough to heat up the top panel of my case. The fans going round ok but I think its way too slow.

Do i need a Higher wattage PSU? ive been thinking about an Enermax GALAXY

Id hate to have to swap PSU as ive always had quality with Corsair products.

CPU: Intel Quad Q6600

Motherboard : Asus Striker Extreme

DDR : Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400

GPU : BFG 8800 GTX OC

BFG AGEIA PHYSX

XFI FATA1TY SoundCard

1 x WD Raptor X 150gb HD

1 x WD Raptor 36gb HD

2 x WD 80gb Sata HD

1 x Pioneer 112DBK Optical

1 x Plextor PX-800A Optical

Case Zalman GT1000

nzone,

I did reply to you ages ago but it seems to have got lost.

The GT1000 is a beautiful case. Expensive, but you will probably never need another case in your lifetime unless they change the motherboard/PC etc layout ATX etc... Its thick aluminium construction makes for a very quiet enclosure. My system when not overclocked is barely audible. You can just hear the fans but compared to my last case it is 1000% better. There are quieter cases on the market so don't be fooled. However it looks the dogs nu*s and I'm very happy with it.

Lyger,

I would try going here

http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalculator/PSCalculator.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

to check what power of PSU you need.

Archived