Corsair Community

HP Pavilions 1642x - What the difference between the memory types?

AalafAlot

I have HP Pavilion a1642x. Per Consaire Website,

Part # Size

VS2GBKIT533D2 2GB Kit (2 x 1GB)

CMSS1GB-533 1GB

VS1GB533D2 1GB

VS1GBKIT533D2 1GB Kit (2 x 512MB)

CMSS512MB-533 512MB

What is the difference between VS2GBKIT533D2 2GB Kit (2 x 1GB) and buying 2 CMSS1GB-533 1GB? The 2 GB sounds like value and the CMSS1GB is made specifc. Does it really matter buying a memory made specifically for HP?

Facts about the VS2GBKIT533D2

The Value Select line provides quality, tested, compatible desktop memory at competitive prices. The Value Select line is qualified for major current desktop and laptop systems. All Value Select modules are backed by Corsair's comprehensive warranty The VS2GBKIT533D2 is a pair of unbuffered, non-ECC, 1 GB DDR2 memory modules operating at PC2-4200

Description: This is an industry standard 2GB PC2-4200 533MHz 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DIMM Kit. It contains two 1GB modules.

and

Facts about the CMSS1GB-533

System Select products are specifically designed to maximize the performance of your desktop, laptop or server system. These modules combine legendary Corsair quality and reliability with the ease of upgrading your system via Corsairs Memory Configurator. With the configurator you get a memory recommendation for your specific computer system based on Corsairs extensive testing.

Description: This 1GB PC2-4200 533MHz 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DIMM is designed for industry models, including Dell, HP/Compaq, IBM and Gateway desktops.

that's mainly marketing stuff you've quoted (which I placed the quote blocks around).

Basically, VS memory should work with it ok, but it's not guaranteed that it'll work with the HP memory, whereas I believe the CMSS memory is.

Archived