Corsair Community

DFI LP U-D, XMS3200 1GB(2x512) won't post

GateKeeper1626862247

Hello,

I have recently got a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D MoBo, w/AMD FX-55.

I have 2 sticks of CMX512R-3200C2 (matched) rev.1.1 memory. (from a previous motherboard) I have the most up to date drivers for everything except for my MoBo bios for which I have ver. 623-1 (Ram Guy recommended the version to another poster having similar problems as me)

When I install these my comp won't even post, the motherboard won't even detect the memory. If you are familiar with the DFI LP Ultra-D MoBo, in the bottom left corner of the board there are 4 Diagnostic LED's.

When the comp starts up all 4 led's light, designating start up.

Then 1 led goes off so 3 are lit up, designating the CPU is detected.

Then 1 more goes off so 2 are lit, designating the DRAM id detected.

Then 1 more goes off so 1 is lit, designating the VGA is detected.

Then they all go off and the system posts, boots and whatnot.

Now my problem is when I install my 2 sticks of corsair memory, the 4 led's light as thay are supposed to, then it goes to 3, all's good, then it stays right there at 3 led's, so the board isn't even detecting the memory.

Right now I have 2 512mb sticks of micron PC2700 in there and the computer runs just great, but as you can imagine it's creating quite the bottleneck in my system.

I have scoured all these forums, and read alot of similar posts, but they have differed in the fact of either they had a different memory setup, or some other slight difference in configuration.

I have tried every single fix that was suggested in all those posts, but to no avail, it still won't work.

I've tried all the different settings

Can someone please help, does this mean that the memory sticks I have are bad? Or is it something I missed???

I am ready to pull my hair out. (the wall has already suffered a brutal headbutt a couple of times. :)

Any help is apprieciated, Thanks

Jim

Hello,

I have recently got a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D MoBo, w/AMD FX-55.

I have 2 sticks of CMX512R-3200C2 (matched) rev.1.1 memory. (from a previous motherboard) I have the most up to date drivers for everything except for my MoBo bios for which I have ver. 623-1 (Ram Guy recommended the version to another poster having similar problems as me)

When I install these my comp won't even post, the motherboard won't even detect the memory. If you are familiar with the DFI LP Ultra-D MoBo, in the bottom left corner of the board there are 4 Diagnostic LED's.

When the comp starts up all 4 led's light, designating start up.

Then 1 led goes off so 3 are lit up, designating the CPU is detected.

Then 1 more goes off so 2 are lit, designating the DRAM id detected.

Then 1 more goes off so 1 is lit, designating the VGA is detected.

Then they all go off and the system posts, boots and whatnot.

Now my problem is when I install my 2 sticks of corsair memory, the 4 led's light as thay are supposed to, then it goes to 3, all's good, then it stays right there at 3 led's, so the board isn't even detecting the memory.

Right now I have 2 512mb sticks of micron PC2700 in there and the computer runs just great, but as you can imagine it's creating quite the bottleneck in my system.

I have scoured all these forums, and read alot of similar posts, but they have differed in the fact of either they had a different memory setup, or some other slight difference in configuration.

I have tried every single fix that was suggested in all those posts, but to no avail, it still won't work.

I've tried all the different settings

Can someone please help, does this mean that the memory sticks I have are bad? Or is it something I missed???

I am ready to pull my hair out. (the wall has already suffered a brutal headbutt a couple of times. :)

Any help is apprieciated, Thanks

Jim

Did you notice that you have the wrong memory for your system? The Socket 939 systems such as yours use only unbuffered ("non-registered") memory. The CMX512R-3200C2 modules, however, are registered ("buffered") memory modules, which none of the Socket 939 processors support. The early Athlon 64 FX-51 and FX-53 processors used Socket 940, which required registered memory. Your FX-55, on the other hand, was the first FX-series processor designed for Socket 939, which cannot use registered memory.

Did you notice that you have the wrong memory for your system? The Socket 939 systems such as yours use only unbuffered ("non-registered") memory. The CMX512R-3200C2 modules, however, are registered ("buffered") memory modules, which none of the Socket 939 processors support. The early Athlon 64 FX-51 and FX-53 processors used Socket 940, which required registered memory. Your FX-55, on the other hand, was the first FX-series processor designed for Socket 939, which cannot use registered memory.

Ah, so that is the problem. Didn't know these were buffered modules, it's been so long since I bought them.

Well, I guess I need to scrape up some more dough.

Thanks for finding that though, it was driving me crazy, and I really hate how my system runs on this PC2700.

Any suggestions on what the fastest memory is I can run on this MoBo??

Archived