Corsair Community

VaSe1GB800D2 vs. XMS2 1GB800 DDR2

gizmoo

Hello!

Some months ago I bought a new computer. The Ram Module, that was bulid in, was a Corsair VS1GB800D2 (VS= Value Select). Now I wanted to buy a second Module. It should be the same. So I went to a online store an ordered a 1GB800D2 Module. The picture of the Module showes a (green) VS-Module. So I ordered it. But what i get was a (black covered) Corsair XMS2 1GB 800 DDR2 Module. I put the Module to the other one in the computer. Started the computer, play some games and do the Nividia-motherboard-Compatibilitycheck. No Problemes so fare. Now my question:

I have heard, that there should be use only to Modules of the same kind.

But I don´t think, that bouth I am using right now are the same (latency,...and so on. There where no Timings printed on the VS1GB800D2 Module.). So, what could be happend to the usability of my computer and do i have to axpect that the speed of my computer isnt´t that fast as it could be by using 2 Modules of the same kind?

Hopr you can help me.

Greetings an many thanx in adwance.

gizmoo

PS: Sorry for my bad english

Thought my system info would be showen at the end of the threat...so here there are:

EVGA 680i Sli

Pentium Core2Duo 6600

NV 8800 GTS

WinXP ServicPack2

Do not know if there are nessusary for you, to help me out.

Greetings

gizmoo

• Corsair Employees

First thing, we do not sell Value Select DDR800 in the channel, only a few system builders will be able to get this part. And with that MB if you want to add memory all of the modules would need to be matched both in part# and revision.

You either need to talk to the system seller and see if they can offer you an upgrade or replace the memory with a new set of modules. sorry!

Hello and thank you for the quick help!

I will ask the systembuilder, if he had the same Module. On the other hand i have to reverse the Module I have ordered. Think that could be a problem...

Ok.

But I do not understand why the Nividia-comatibility-test for my MB said, that everything is ok. And if this two Modules are not the same (latency, Part#,..), why can I play Games and do rendering-work without Problemes? How can i find out at what latencies the VS-memory is? Maybe they are the same....

I have to know this, because if I can not reverse the ordered Memory... :sigh!:

Greetings

gizmoo

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I'm having some problems with the VS1GB800D2 memory modules myself. I got a pair of them and they run in dual channel mode. I tried to adjust the SPD in BIOS but I have no idea about the official timings and details. I assume they are 5-5-5-18 but I don't know that for sure.

I set the BIOS that way, and downloaded CPU-Z as mentioned above to check it with. Now, I have two timing columns:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6852/untitledia1.jpg

The second column has the settings I typed in to BIOS (except for the last one, Trc, I don't know what that is, it has been put to 22 automatically).

But what is the first column with the 4-4-4-12 timings? Also, it says on the top that runs on 266MHz but they are 800MHz memory modules so they should be at 400MHz each (beacuse of the Dual Channel mode).

Could you help me please? Should I set everything lower, or leave it like this?

Thank you in advance!

Archived