Corsair Community

Asus P5B Deluxe doesn't boot with TWIN2X2048-6400C4D

Vladimir1975

Hello,

I've got Twin2x2048-6400C4D Dominator memory for my Asus P5B Deluxe. Unfortunately I have not felt all it's benefits because for a long time I can not even boot the system. The monitor is blank, no beeps, no POST messages at all.

My system is following:

Processor: C2D E6600

Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe rev.1.04G, BIOS 1101 (Build on 03.09.07) - latest at the moment, was updated using afudos.exe v.2.26 from diskette in DOS mode

Memory: Corsair Twin2x2048-6400C4D Dominator

I tried to set parameters specidied at these forums for qualification tests:

Following parameters were set according to the forum info:

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz

PCI Express Freq: Auto

PCI Freq: 33.33

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual ('Disabled' value in my case)

SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T ('DRAM RAS# Precharge' parameter in my case)

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

Write to Precharge Delay: 15

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.1

CPU Core Voltage: Auto

FSB Termination V: 1.50 V ('1.45' value in my case for this is maximal possible value)

MCH Chipset V: 1.65V (I used 'NB VCore' parameter instead of cpecified because there is no 'MCH Chipset V' parameter in the BIOS)

ICH Chipset V: 1.20V ('1.215' value was seleced because there are only '1.075' and '1.215' options)

Following parameters were not set for they are abscent in the BIOS:

Performance Mode: Standard

Command Rate: 2T

Following parameters are not in your qualification settings, but they seem important for me so I list them here:

SBVcore: Auto

DRAM TRFC: 42 DRAM Clocks

DRAM TRRD: 10

Rank Write to Read Delay: 10

Read to Precharge Delay: 10

I have no ideas what do they mean, so I left they values without changes (probably this is not quite good approach).

In order to set these parameters I used standard slow memory which allowed me to boot and get into the BIOS. After all changes I saved them, left BIOS and swithed off PC immediately after restart. Then I replaced memory module (I used one module which was inserted into A1 slot) and turned on PC... Blank screen, no beeps, etc. When I replaced dominator with simple module I got the message 'Overclocking failed...'

My test failed. So, I decided to try use SPD settings and disable all not required BIOS options. After loading of setup defaults I made following BIOS configuration:

SATA configuration: Disabled

AI Tuning: Manual

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-800MHz

PCI Clock Synchronization Mode: 33.33MHz

Memory Voltage: 1.80V

USB Functions: Disabled

!!! Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Enabled

PEG Link Mode: Slow

ASUS C.G.I.: Disable

HD Audio Controller: Disabled

Onboard 1394 Controller: Disabled

Onboard PCIE GbE LAN_1: Disabled

Onboard PCI LAN_2: Disabled

JMicron SATA/PATA Controller: Disabled

Serial Port1 Address: Disabled

Then same procedure with BIOS configurtion saving, re-boot and memory replacement... Same result!..

I think if memory doesn't work in this mode it doesn't work at all. Please check my settings and confirm if I'm right and my memory has to be replaced. I'm waiting for your (RAM Guy) answer. My further actions depend on it. Also please advise (in case of replacement) if it's better to replace my memory with another pair of Twin2x2048-6400C4D or to take twin2x2048-6400C4 (XMS2, not Dominator) instead of it - I've seen many cases of use Twin2x2048-6400C4 with P5BDeluxe in the Internet , may be it works better with this board. WHat about your statistics?

RAM Guy, I hope on your prompt answer because I'm waiting for workable system too long.

Thank you and Regards,

Vladimir

specmike,

I didn't see your reply when I was updating my initial message. Sorry. Please read it again because I have updated BIOS to the last (1101) version and made a couple of tests again. Unfortunately without success. Please advise me, if you have ideas.

Thank you.

specmike,

I didn't see your reply when I was updating my initial message. Sorry. Please read it again because I have updated BIOS to the last (1101) version and made a couple of tests again. Unfortunately without success. Please advise me, if you have ideas.

Thank you.

I may have missed it in your post.

In order to set these parameters I used standard slow memory which allowed me to boot and get into the BIOS. After all changes I saved them, left BIOS and swithed off PC immediately after restart. Then I replaced memory module (I used one module which was inserted into A1 slot) and turned on PC... Blank screen, no beeps, etc. When I replaced dominator with simple module I got the message 'Overclocking failed...'

The tested voltage for the memory you have is 2.1v. Try clearing the CMOS again and then use your standard memory to set your settings as listed above. And, set the memory voltage to 2.1v.

CMOS was cleared, following 'easy' parameters (with 2.1v voltage) were applied to use SPD:

SATA configuration: Disabled

AI Tuning: Manual

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-800MHz

PCI Clock Synchronization Mode: 33.33MHz

!!! Memory Voltage: 2.1V

USB Functions: Disabled

!!! Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Enabled

PEG Link Mode: Slow

ASUS C.G.I.: Disable

HD Audio Controller: Disabled

Onboard 1394 Controller: Disabled

Onboard PCIE GbE LAN_1: Disabled

Onboard PCI LAN_2: Disabled

JMicron SATA/PATA Controller: Disabled

Serial Port1 Address: Disabled

One dominator was installed into A1 slot... same result - it doesn't boot!

Archived