Corsair Community

Wish to build a STABLE gaming rig with CORSAIR RAM & PSU: need your advice!

bhanja_trinanja

Hi,

I need your help to build a rock stable gaming rig. Past experience of mine suggests that absolute ‘stability’ is a rare quality, which only a few systems can hope to possess.

I have had numerous bitter experiences with well known products like the Radeon 9600XT, VIA KT333 and the nForce3 250GB of late.

If you want to delve deep into these experiences, read on: (oops… I will provide the links soon.)

Well, I have managed to save some money….. And I plan to build a STABLE gaming rig: (I DONT wish to O/C)

Here are the draft specifications:

Intel Core2 Duo E6420

Intel D975XBX2 (BadAxe2, BOX/BLKD975XBX2KR)

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (2GB kit)

Geforce 8800GTS 320MB

WD Caviar SE16 320GB

Corsair 520HX PSU

Antec SLK3000B cabinet

Windows Vista Home Premium

My questions:

• Does Corsair ram run well on the BadAxe2? http://www.bit-tech.net reports stability issues. I want to run at stock speeds @ 4-4-4-12.

• Any better motherboard out there when it comes to stability?

• Intel CPU + Intel Chipset should be stable…. Any other suggestions?

• Should I go for a cheaper P965 board? I have heard that some P965 motherboards have issues due to conflicts between the Intel ICH8 and JMicron controllers. (As ICH8 used with the P965 does not support PATA, motherboard makers usually use the JMicron chips to implement the same.)

• Which 8800GTS should I buy? (XFX/Leadtek/Asus…)

• Does a 520 watt Corsair PSU provide enough juice for a single 8800GTS?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Corsair Employees

• Does Corsair ram run well on the BadAxe2? http://www.bit-tech.net reports stability issues. I want to run at stock speeds @ 4-4-4-12. Yes, we have tested this motherboard(Version 1 and 2) with no issues. Just make sure you set the Memory Voltage to 2.1v and insome cases I have seen user need to increase the MCH(Memory Controller Hub) Voltage to run stable.

Any better motherboard out there when it comes to stability? I don't have any doubts on stability on this motherboard.

Intel CPU + Intel Chipset should be stable…. Any other suggestions? NA

Should I go for a cheaper P965 board? I have heard that some P965 motherboards have issues due to conflicts between the Intel ICH8 and JMicron controllers. (As ICH8 used with the P965 does not support PATA, motherboard makers usually use the JMicron chips to implement the same.)Not aware of any.

Which 8800GTS should I buy? (XFX/Leadtek/Asus…) Since this motherboard supports Crossfire and not SLI, I would go with Crossfire.

Does a 520 watt Corsair PSU provide enough juice for a single 8800GTS? Yes we have ran tests already.

Hi,

I shall probably go for the 965P based Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (3.3)

RAM will be Corsair Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4

PSU will be Corsair 520HX

Are there any known issues with the 520HX?

There are lots of posts at the forums here regarding the reliability of the 520HX... why?

I can't afford the 620 watt.

Are there any manuals / install guides / special notes which need to be followed in order to install the 520HX?

I see a lot of posts pointing to 520HX issues (PSU dying.... noises etc)

Do I need to worry?

There are lots of posts at the forums here regarding the reliability of the 520HX... why?

Our failure rate on the 520HX is VERY low. The reason you see lots of posts here at our forum is that this is the place where people come to post when they have issues.

Archived