Corsair Community

Which RAM for Asus P5N32-E PLUS SLi nForce?

PeterBrophy

I am intending to upgrade my machine with the following kit:

Asus P5N32-E PLUS SLi nForce (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)

Asus GeForce 8800 GTS HTDP 640MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Can anyone recommend which RAM/CAS I should get? The "Corsair Performance Tests" only lists the "Asus P5N32-E SLi nForce" and not the "plus" version.

I want 2GB, and I'm not going to do any overclocking.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi RAM Guy!

Thanks for your reply before. Unfortunately the RAM you recommended wasn't in stock from my vendor when I wanted to buy it so I opted for the CM2X1024-6400C4.

I should have listened to you!! :roll:

Here's my whole system spec:

-Asus P5N32-E PLUS SLi nForce

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)

-BFG 8800 GTX OC

-Seasonic 650W

-Vista Premium

-Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm

To begin with I placed the DIMMs in slots A1 and B1. The Vista install bluescreened when unpacking files at about 20%. I tried this twice and it happened at about the same place.

The first thing I tried was removing the DIMM from slot B1. The Vista install got to about 80% unpacking and then bluescreened.

I then swapped out the RAM in slot A1 and tried installing again - this time Vista installed fine.

Once Vista was up and running, I tried putting the 2nd DIMM back in B1. This caused Vista to crash upon booting up so I took that DIMM out again.

I guessed that DIMM must be faulty.

However, I'm still experiencing random bluescreens with the one stick of RAM. They happen every 30 mins or so, or when I do something very intensive such as playing Counter-Strike.

Can you think of anything I can try? Do you think that DIMM is faulty? What tests can I perform to diagnose the problem?

Thanks,

Peter

Well... I've got it running stable now. I've updated the bios, reset the defaults, set the RAM CAS manually to 4 - 4 - 4 - 12 and the memory to 2.1V.

This works with one DIMM in A1 or two DIMMS in A1 and A2 - perfectly stable, but it's still very unstable with two DIMMs in A1 and B1.

I believe I want the DIMMs in A1 and B1 to achieve Dual Channel - is this correct?

Hi Ram Guy,

I've tried those two suggestions - still unstable.

With the ram in A2 and B2 it crashes on Windows loading with any settings.

With the ram in A1 and B1 with the defaults loaded and voltage set to 2.0 Windows becomes unstable - graphics driver crashing, Explorer.exe crashing and eventually the entire machine locks up.

Any more suggestions?

cmos: I wasn't aware I needed a specific BIOS for a specific OS. The Asus downloads page doesn't list which BIOS version goes with which OS. Which BIOS version do you think is Vista compatible? What happens if I want to dual boot? :confused:

edit: oh, wait, it does specify which OS - but says 'all OS' for the latest BIOS.

Hello Ram Guy,

I've put the DIMMs in A1 and B1, reset the defaults, set the command rate to 2T and set the voltage to 2.0.

I've also tried putting them in A1 and B1, setting the command rate to 2T and set the voltage to 2.0 and the CAS latency stuff to 4-4-4-12.

With both the above settings I can use Windows fine, but any games will crash after about 1/2 hour of play.

Can you recommend any other settings I should change?

I'm gonna shut down now and try them in A2 and B2 with the settings above and see if it makes any difference.

Peter

It was several different games (Fear and Counter-Strike mostly), and it was a bluescreen with various memory errors ( I can't remember the specifics - will note it if I see it again).

Since putting the sticks in A2 and B2 I've been playing for about 2 hours (testing, you understand :biggrin:) with no crashes... looks good so far!

I hope it's fixed, but it seems stable now. I'll let you know if I have any more crashes. Thanks for the help!

Peter

Archived