Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400C4 Question

gara56

I have an Intel D975XBX with TWIN2X2048-6400C4 and wanted to know which memory I should using if I just want to add one more GB.:confused:

If I use TWIN2X1024-6400C4 Kit, that will fill all four of my memory banks. Does that mean I will have to make sure the memory voltage in BIOS setup is set to 2.1V....4-4-4-12?

Thanks,

Glenn

With this MB and 4 modules they will all need to be the same revision and part# and the memory frequency should be set to 667 MHz at 2.0 Volts 2.1 Volts Maximum.

Ram Guy,

Thanks for your quick response. So if I understand this correctly, since I'm currently using the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (DDR800) kit (in two memory slots), if I get the TWIN2X1024-6400C4 (DDR800) kit (to fill the last two slots with a tot of 1MB) I should be ok?

The extra MB has the same frequency (DDR800) as the other memory but I plan to lower it to 667 MHz when I get it.

Until then I'm currently using one TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (DDR800) kit (two memory slots) but lowered the frequency to 667 MHz. Should the memory voltage be set between 2.0-2.1volts now or when populate the last two memory slots after installing the TWIN2X1024-6400C4 (DDR800) kit?

Eventually this memory will be installed into my D975XBX2 which can run DDR800 memory. Until then I just using them in the D975XBX.

Thanks for your help.

Glenn

• Corsair Employees

No Glen that is not what I said at all,

With this MB and 4 modules they (The Modules) will all need to be the same revision and part# and they memory frequency should be set to 667 MHz at 2.0 Volts 2.1 Volts Maximum.

You can try mixing memory but I would not suggest it.

With this MB and 4 modules they will all need to be the same revision and part# and they memory frequency should be set to 667 MHz at 2.0 Volts 2.1 Volts Maximum.

May I ask why the frequency of 800 MHz RAM should be set to 667 MHz?

• Corsair Employees
I have not seen a user able to run 800MHz stable with 4 modules installed on a Intel x975 chipset based motherboard. Our findings where 667MHZ-720MHZ max on this chipset when 4 is installed.

Thanks for explanation. Because of Vista I'm about to buy another 2GB pack of this memory to have overall 4GB in 4 modules.

Is it possible to run them at 800Mhz EPP on nVidia 590 SLI chipset based motherboard?

Thanks RAM GUY. So if I got it right, the memory controller integrated in the AM2 processors can't technically run 4 memory modules at 800 MHz.

So my choice is between to have 4 modules running little slower or to have 2 modules running at full 800 MHz.

Archived