Corsair Community

8GB TWIN2X 6400C5DHX & ASUS P5B Deluxe?

Hi there,

I'm getting close to a new build and have been reading up on the forums here and there (been a while since I last did a complete build) in preparation. There seems to be a *lot* of memory troubles around, so I thought I'd check in with you guys before shopping.

I'm planning on getting an ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi and the plan is to populate it with 8GB while prices are sympathetic. Have you by any chance verified that this board, or any others in the same family, will do 4x2GB of TWIN2X 6400C5DHX without throwing fits?

Hoping you can set my mind at ease!

Regards,

Agrippa

Feel free to disregard this. Noob that I am I found the answer just now in your memory configurator. In case someone else was interested - these modules have been verified as working on the P5B Deluxe. And now for some spending..... :biggrin:

• Corsair Employees
The 2.0 Gig modules have only just went into production, and I am not sure we will test any systems with 2 sets or 8 Gig of memory at this time. However the MB you have asked about will support 8 Gig. Now that being said, you do realize that you will have to be using a 64-Bit O.S. right?

The 2.0 Gig modules have only just went into production, and I am not sure we will test any systems with 2 sets or 8 Gig of memory at this time. However the MB you have asked about will support 8 Gig. Now that being said, you do realize that you will have to be using a 64-Bit O.S. right?

Most assuredly Sir! I'll be running XP 64 most likely, since I have almost supernaturally good (for an OS) experiences with Server 2003, on which XP 64 is built.

I would be curious to see what you build, LOL!

No problem:

ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi

Xeon 3220

8GB of your most excellent RAM.

8800GTS/GTX (we'll see)

LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS 8344ELP

Seagate 36GB SAS 15K (OS)

3x250GB SATA (misc)

5x500GB SATA @ RAID 5

Basically the aim is a machine which will last me for at least 2 years with no need to upgrade anything whatsoever (well, at most the GPU). My current machine has served me steadfastly for almost 3 years with only a graphics upgrade, running 24/7. Hoping for the same kind of thing here.

As for the RAM I intend to run a humongous RAM disk, to which I'll assign all temp folders and work directories it'll hold. I also have batch files ready which'll copy and save my favourite game to/from RAM, to be run from there entirely.

Expecting blistering performance.

:biggrin:

• Corsair Employees

I meant to say I was curious about Garvin because he has had some interesting ideas in the past. But that sounds like a awesome system Agrippa.

But here are some suggestions for you if you don't mind.

Don't expect too much:

You are talking about doing something that has not been tested and is at this time just theory. I fully expect it to work with this platform, however there may be issues and I am sure you don't want to be the Ginny pig here do you?

I would give it some time for the modules to come out and be tested to make sure there are no unknown issues.

And most important keep an open mind:

There is more loading on the system as you add more memory and many times they will not perform as well with just two or one module installed.

Oops, there I go - thinking it's all about me.... :biggrin:

By all means, I'm prepared for the RAM not to work, but since my dealer's stated they'll take it back without a quibble it'll be alright regardless of the outcome. I'm sure I'll survive with just 4GB too. Just.

Yeah, I know 4 modules will lower the performance slightly, but truth to tell I'm not that concerned with the performance. I've got a 3GHz Northwood for the time being and quite frankly it does everything I want it to do well enough. If it wasn't for the fact that AGP basically is no more and that I feel the strain in the few new games I play, this old baby would do me nicely still. Moving to a Duo or Quad will be a whole new world though, regardless of a less than optimal memory performance. Rather looking forward to it, I must say....

Cheers for the answers Ram Guy, much appreciated! Fingers crossed for 8GB of working RAM please. :biggrin:

Those system specs look awesome and are definitely on the bleeding edge. In fact, you're the first I've seen in any forum to attempt a 4x2gig monster. With both a hefty RAM disk and RAID arrays though, I hope you've factored in an adequate UPS. My APC's have saved me possible agravation eight times so far this year (usual average is 6/year). As to my own build, I'm still in a bit of a quandry as to which direction to go on a workstation/low-end server board with a bit of an overclock. I've been researching hardware PCI-X RAID card (four drives: RAID5, RAID1/0, or RAID0/1) possibilities and trying to figure out whether it would be better to go with (Corsair) two 1gig modules, four 1gig modules, or two 2gig modules(unfortunately board limited to 533MHz). Two gigs in two sticks would be fine for now in a dual boot Xp/Vista setup but what about a year from now. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

ps: scrap the first to build "4x2gig post". Vista 64bit-

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070504204210327&board_id=1&model=P5WDG2+WS+Professional&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

• 4 weeks later...
OH Great! :eek:

LOL NP love to see it!

Thought I'd do a quick necro of this thread....

In the end I went for a P5k Dlx rather than the P5B Dlx. Found one at a great price, but I'd have gotten the "K" anyway given the excellent reviews and user experiences all over the web.

4 x 6400C5DHX were inserted with some slight trepidation, which I could have saved myself as the board accepted 8GB without a murmur. No BIOS tweaking whatsoever were required with 2 or 1 modules as I half assumed would be the case. All in all it could not have been smoother.

I do have one question though. The board will not let me use anything other than a setting of exactly 400MHz for the RAM, or there'll be no boot at all. Makes no difference if it's more than 400, or less, it just won't have it. Is this anything to do with E.P.P. and if so, is it something I can disable somewhere or somehow? It's of little consequence at the moment, as I'm running an E6420 until Intel's next price cuts come around and the CPU chugs along very happily at 8x400 (a nice 50% overclock), but when I install a quad core the additional tweakage will probably come in handy.

Archived