Corsair Community

Bad Module (CRC errors, checksum errors, etc)

Hey guys, I have been frustrated for about a year with this problem, and -finally- tonight, I ran memtest86 and discovered an error on one of my VS1GB400C3 modules. I run them in a pair, and I tested them independently with memtest, and only one shows up bad. This has been causing the following symptoms:

* Battlefield 2 installation process yields MD5 errors

* Battlefield 2 patches never install properly ("patching failed")

* CRC errors copying stuff off of optical drive

* Filesystem corruption when copying data to/from system across network

* VMware acts quirky from time to time with network access and file storage

* All other games have always worked fine!!!

* Memtest86 shows error

Please RMA this! :-) Thank you! I am filling out a form and will include this post ID.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Trevor

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

My system isn't overclocked, if that's what you're indicating. I am running mostly stock settings in the BIOS, and only one of my sticks tests bad. Nevertheless ... I will test it if you so desire. In the same slot, one stick tests good, one stick tests bad. All the issues I was having disappeared as soon as I removed the bad stick and left the good one in. I suppose I can test using your settings tomorrow though and see what happens ........

Hello RamGuy,

I had a chance to test the memory this morning before going to work. I set my voltage to 2.79, and I didn't see an option to Disable Legay USB (my mobo is listed under my specs); There was an option for what version of USB to run, and it's set to 1.1+2.0. My voltage was set by default to 2.63v, and the only 2 options around 2.75v were 2.71v and 2.79v, so I went with the higher one hoping for better stability. Anyway, memtest is still showing an error at address 0003205b20c - 800.6MB. This stick is running alone in the same slot that the good stick tests fine in, at default voltage.

I would appreciate a replacement, thanks! Do I need to fill out the form a 2nd time?

Trevor

Edit: Also, take note that my timings were, and still are, set to Auto/Auto.

Edit2: I also meant to note that my PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower 650W ... which should be providing pretty steady, clean power to the system. It's certainly not a cheapie.

Hello,

I have sent my single bad RAM stick to the RMA address via USPS in a padded envelope this afternoon; It should only take a couple days to arrive. Do you have direct contact with the RMA department to verify the receipt of the package?

Thanks,

Trevor

Archived