Corsair Community

VS1GBKIT400 Crashing My System

I recently assembled a new system, the details of which are on my profile. I have done this before, so am not a newbie. However, I am not a hard-core computer guy, a gamer or overclocker either.

A week or so after successfully booting the system and loading XP and software, the system started crashing at random intervals. I checked the OS and other programs and everything seemed ok. I enabled Windows memory dump, but could find no consistent cause or error.

I decided that the problem was with the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU, so I bought a new 3800+. Damn if nothing changed! So after some googling, I downloaded Memtest-86 v3.3 onto a CD-ROM. Memtest threw up a slew of memory errors - bingo! The strange thing is that both DIMMs in my matched pair seem faulty. Prime95 torture test fails, too.

For the record, the BIOS settings are at their default (no overclock tweaks), so the memory is running at its rated timings. System temps and voltages are normal.

I am open to suggestions in further diagnosing my problem, but I must say I am very frustrated, having tried many permutations and combinations, and bought a new CPU. The crashing is not consistently reproduceable when using the computer normally. I would hate to RMA my RAM if the problem is elsewhere.

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Ram Guy, thanks for the reply.

I set Vdimm to 2.7V, and tried my two DIMMs individually with both Memtest-86 v3.3 and Memtest86+ v1.70.

One stick ran all day without problems. It works at 2.6V, too. The other craps out on test #5, towards the end of the test. I tried this one in all four slots. Slots 1 and 3 no workee, but 2 and 4 seem ok, although I have not had the opportunity to test for extended periods. I assume this has to do with the areas of memory tested being different in the different slots.

So now I am using the computer without problems with the good stick only. It appears I have a bad one - next action, please?

Archived