Corsair Community

2GB SD 133x issues with certain readers

juggernate

I just bought two Corsair 2GB SD flash cards (133x) to use with my nikon d80. Before I tried them in the camera I used them in several card readers and they freeze my systems until I pull the cards out (all on win xp pro 32)

This happens on several new Dell monitors (2407wfp) with built in card readers, and my year old hp dv1000 laptop built in card reader. Those readers work fine with other SD cards I have. (Though none of these other cards are 133x)

However, the cards seem to work fine in my cameras and a 4 year old standalone SD card reader I have hooked up to these same systems. So I have tried reformatting them several ways (through the cameras and the reader that works with them), but they I always get the same results with the built-in card readers mentioned before.

I realize I can use the readers that are working, but as it is more convenient to use the built in readers I would prefer to use those if possible.

Is there some standards/compatibility/power requirement for reading these 133x cards that I'm not aware of?

• Corsair Employees
The built in card readers sometimes do not seem to be as up to date and stand alone readers and I am sorry there is not a lot we can do other than an RMA and ask for a slower card is about the only option or just use a newer card reader.

The built in card readers sometimes do not seem to be as up to date and stand alone readers and I am sorry there is not a lot we can do other than an RMA and ask for a slower card is about the only option or just use a newer card reader.

I'm getting exactly the same problem with the same monitor and card. Please dont automatically blame it on the monitor.

(http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37769)

"this card reader is not just a feature - in fact, this is one of the fastest card readers we have tested

I'm now seeking a refund from Scan.co.uk

• Corsair Employees
If you card is not working properly we can sure replace it, but in the case previously the user has an older system with a built in card reader and as I said even a new system may not be as up to date and a stand alone card reader. But if you have this problem you should test the card in another device.

With respect, the card was designed before the card reader was. I'm on the second one of these. The first one of these had a faulty lock switch. I dont have a separate stand alone card reader to test with.

Thanks for the feedback.

The built-in readers I mentioned in the original post are newer than my standalone reader, and tested on several new systems. But perhaps I shouldn't call my dell monitor readers "built-in".

Also, according to dell's website, they can max read/write at 480 Mbps (or 60MBps). Is that faster than the 133x? (I believe 133x is 20 MBps, is that right?)

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2407wfp/en/about.htm#Card%20Reader%20Specificatoins

I just found it odd that this happened with two new cards I got, and they do work with other some other readers. So could it just be some compatibility thing? even with newer, good readers?

• Corsair Employees
Thats is true, but what I am saying is that I have found from personal experience is that in many cases the makes of these types of devices IE Printers, Scanner's, Fax Machines, and even cell phones do not always use the latest technology when adding these extra features. Sometimes its just a firmware update that is all that is needed but because its incorporated with other hardware its not the device makers first priority. I am sorry if you have this issue but there is not a lot we can do except ask our customer service if they replace your card with a slower card and see if that will solve the issue.

I have a similar problem with my 2GB 133x card that I purchased in December and had not had time to get replaced/RMA.

I also bought it to use with my Nikon D80 DSLR and at first it seemed to be working fine. I was shooting in raw at multiple exposure but after a while I got a strange message on the (brand new) camera's LCD "THIS CARD CANNOT BE USED". I switched off the camera off took the card out and put it back in - most of the photos I had just taken were little red x's.

I had been using another card (different brand 1GB) as my primary card up until then without problems, so I figured it was a faulty/incompatible card. I was just puzzled that it appeared to be working for several dozen shots and then suddenly packed in.

Now that I finally got around to sorting this out (it was an online purchase), how do you suggest I proceed in order to get a card that will work with my camera?

I also tried using it with my (admittedly 4 year old Toshiba) laptop's built in SD card reader, but again to no avail. My other SD card which is the fastest on offer from a rival manufacturer (at the time of purchase) has been working fine on same laptop.

Please help.

• Corsair Employees

Do you have a card reader that will see the card? If so please try and format it from a command prompt with this syntax:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X=the drive letter assigned to the Flash Voyager)

If that does not work let's try replacing your card, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it.

Archived