Corsair Community

A8N32-SLI Deluxe and TwinX1024-3200XLPT

stanpost

Hi all. I've got my hands on an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe as part of an upgrade (new: Athlon 64 X2 3800+, Gainward 7900GS) and I planned to re-use my faithful TwinX1024-3200XLPT kit in there with the new parts. However, it became really unstable after a couple of weeks and the use of memtest86 3.3 revealed a continuous run of errors upon completion of test 7.

Now, the Corsair itself checks out fine in another machine (DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR, Opteron 165) and the error repeats itself with 3 different CPUs, so I don't believe that the memory or the CPU are at fault.

The board is running memtest with all its settings on default and the error has appeared with two different BIOS revisions (stock and 1405 Beta). The power supply (a generic 570W) is almost certainly not overloaded, since the only things connected are the board, graphics card (7900GS) and floppy drive.

What I would like to know is if there are any strange issues between this board and the memory which would cause these errors.

Thanks in advance.

[EDIT] corrected a few omissions

Can you tell me the BIOS settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?
Sure.

The K8-Northbridge frequency and linkwidth are set to auto with the Northbridge-Southbridge frequency and linkwidth on the defaults of 5x and 16bit, respectively.

In the JumperFree config window, the 'AI Overclocking', 'SB to NB overclock', 'PEG Link Mode', 'DDR VCORE', FID/VID Change' and the 'AI Clock Skew' for channels A and B are set to Auto. The over-voltage for CPU, NB, SB and Hypertransport are all set to disabled and the PCIE frequency is set to 100.

The CPU is an Opteron 144, with the frequency at its default of 1800 MHz and multiplier of 9x. Cool and Quiet is disabled. All the memory is detected and it runs in dual channel mode.

1T/2T memory timing is set to Auto. All the memory settings are on Auto, with the BIOS telling me that the clock is 200 MHz and reporting timings of CAS Latency = 2, Tras = 5, Trp = 2, Trrd = 2, Trc = 9, Trfc = 14, Trwt = 1, Read Preamble = 5.5ns and Asynchronous Latency = 7ns.

These are the results of telling the BIOS to load default settings.

• Corsair Employees
With just our modules installed please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

OK. It's got the latest BIOS (1405 beta) and I've loaded the setup defaults, set the voltage to 2.8V and the timings to the 2-2-2-5 listed in the tested settings in your Memory Configurator. The USB Legacy mode is set to disabled (now using a PS/2 keyboard).

I get the exact same errors for each individual module as for the dual channel setup. In a different machine (DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR, Opteron 165), they work perfectly. Changing the CPU does not cure the error, so I believe that it's the motherboard which is faulty.

Thanks for the help.

Archived