Corsair Community

Can't get stable: ASUS P5N32-E SLI + 4GB of TWIN2X2048 6400C4D

xmm-newton

Hi guys,

Does anyone can help me with the right settings for my Corsair Twin2X2048 DDR2 memory?

After a hopeless week of trying around I wasn’t able to get a stable system on

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI (BIOS version 1002) with an

ATX-N.BE Quiet! Dark Power Pro 600 W PSU,

All my findings refer to memtest86+ v1.70:

1. The mainboard runs stable with NO memtest errors after 20 Passes with ANY combination of one or two of the memory sticks on ANY of the two channels (A,B). It seems to be also quite stable in respect of overclocking.
  2. As soon as all four sticks come together, memtest fails in tests #5 and 8#
    with several hundreds of errors. If I increase the reference voltage of the
    DDR2 controller and the two channels to Vo1/2+30 mV the errors
    dramatically decrease to 2 or 3 within 10 passes! Why?
    This ist the BIOS limit, I can’t put those voltages higher.:eek:
  3. If I try to increase the NB voltage or the VTT voltage even to 1.215 V, the number of errors noticeably increases.

My most stable settings:

Memory Voltage: 2.125 V

Timing: 4-4-4-12 2T

tRc = 22

all others on „Auto“

FSB 1066 (manual)

DDR2 800 (linked)

All Chipset- and CPU/FSB Voltages on Auto

The horrible thing is that with above settings the system seems to be stable for hours and than the first errors in memtests #5 or #8 come – always on the same two Hex Addresses (between 1024 and 2048 MB) with the same faulty bits (written=ffffffff, read=ffffeeff)!

Recently I tried 5-5-5-18 2T timing with even worse results!:confused:

ASUS stays that the mainboard supports up to 8 GB but I am asking myself whether those guys ever tested it with 4x2048 MB sticks. I'm in a great doubt that it will even POST...

Do I have to buy another mainboard? Is it possible to get current system up and running stable with appropriate defensive timing/voltage settings?

Thanks in advance!

Mario

• Corsair Employees

Mario,

With 4 modules you need to be using a bigger/better PSU with the config you gave.

And you need to get the latest Bios for this MB, I think its up to 0402 or newer, search for it on their site.

We have tested this MB and Striker Extreme and P5N-E with these settings:

SLi ready: Disabled

Memory Voltage: 2.0v

NB Core Voltage: 1.4v

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

But in some cases useres have had to run the memory at DDR667 with 4 modules and what I would suggest in this case.

Mario,

With 4 modules you need to be using a bigger/better PSU with the config you gave.

And you need to get the latest Bios for this MB, I think its up to 0402 or newer, search for it on their site.

We have tested this MB and Striker Extreme and P5N-E with these settings:

SLi ready: Disabled

Memory Voltage: 2.0v

NB Core Voltage: 1.4v

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

But in some cases useres have had to run the memory at DDR667 with 4 modules and what I would suggest in this case.

Thanks for replying so promptly!

You may be right about the PSU because this would explain why the memory gets more stable when the reference voltage of the DDR2 controller is set higher than normal. I'm going to replace it by a bigger one.

I'm also going to try the 4-4-4-12 2T timing with the longer TRC: 24 from your tests.

By the way, I do have the latest BIOS for P5N32-E, version 1002 from 04/30/2007.

Regards,

Mario

Here is a short update:

1. Have exchanged the original PSU with a better one as suggested by RAM GUY. Now I have a Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 750W with this motherboard. The system became obviously more stable but I still got regular memtest+ errors in tests #5 and #8. The most stable runs were with settings:
    FSB 1066 MHz
    Memory clock 800 MHz (linked)
    Memory voltage = 2.175 V
    tCL = 4
    tRCD = 4
    tRP = 4
    tRAS = 12
    CMD = 2
    tRC = 22
    tWTR=15
    all others on AUTO
  2. I was able to get memtest #5 running without any errors by increasing the memory voltage (Vmem) to 2.175 V. However, these settings caused test #8 to return even more errors.
  3. memtest #8 got stable by decreasing memory voltage to 2.075 V and increasing the reference voltages on the DDR2 controller and on both DDR2 Channels to Vmem/2 + 0.20 mV. However these settings made test #5 unstable again :evil:

:idea: At last I changed the positions of the DIMMs on A2 and B1 and since then no memtest+ errors occurred! The system has been running memtest for more than 10 hours without any single error.

So all in all it was pure luck that all 4 DIMMs got stable. I think that this particular Dominator type is quite sensitive on voltage spykes and thus not suitable to run as 4 module combination. This is an issue on mainborads like ASUS P5N32-E SLI which have an extremely hot chipset.

I would try and lower the Voltage to 2.0 Volts and try setting the TRCD to 5 and set the tRAS to 15 and make sure the Command Rate it set to 2Thttp://www.memtest.org?

Thank you for the tip! I'm going try it out. Is it necessary to mount an extra RAM fan over the four DIMMs? I can barely touch them so I guess thay run too hot. The motherboard temperature is also constantly around 113 F. At present I have two 4.75" case fans - one at the front and one at the rair. Another two 3.1" fans blow through the PSU, what a heater. :eyebuldge

did you disable legacy USB when you ram?

No, I didn't. Why does it matter?

Best regards,

Mario

• Corsair Employees
Yes the fan will help, and yes it will matter you might get errors that are not really errors with Legacy USB enabled. And please make sure the command Rate is set to 2T as well.

I have the same setup as this guy... only with 2X1024's of 6400C4, used the timings suggest by the RAMGUY, works like a charm now... thanks for the info.. just wanted to let him know he isnt the only one

JackLinx

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just wanted to give all of you an update...

After exchanging the power supply and mounting a Corsair RAM cooling airflow I have been running the box for about a month at every possible load. NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM, no more BSODs, no hangs, no restarts. Its like a dream... Even my initial timing setup as posted earlier in this thread (4-4-4-12-2T, tRC = 22, tWTR=15) works stable.

Seems like the heat from the four RAM modules was the main trouble.

Thenk YOU all for the great support!

Regards,

Mario

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

I am also running in to problems with a similar setup.

It ran fine for 1month or so then I came across some problems. I changed the timings and voltage to 2.1 4-4-12 2t and it was fine for 4 months. Now once again running in to problems. e.g. BSOD's.

Also been receiving help from here to update you on my situation.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=591595#post591595

I started to test each stick separately with memtest86.

First memory stick passed 8 times in memtest86 with no errors.

Second memory stick finished 7 passes then hung with a "unexpected interrupt - halting" message. I'll attach a screenshot. Haven't tested the other 2 as of yet. My computer is in a temperature controlled room of about 22-23 degrees and system temps seem nice and stable.

At the moment I'm trying sli-ready memory with cpu oc 0% to see how I go.

If I run 3 sticks of memory will 2 run in dual and 1 in single? Or will all sticks run in single mode?

Looking forward to you suggestions.

Cheers,

Jax

memtest.jpg.1d21b451884158a3cd82cc221c960784.jpg

Cpu-Z info which may help you (with 3 sticks running) I have the fourth out for now so my system is stable. I'm hoping I just need to set the right combination of timings, voltages and settings to get for sticks working correctly. Although I have no explanation for why I had the "unexpected interrupt error - halting" during the 2nd memtest however I'm hoping its cause i left the legacy usb support on.

Clipboard01.jpg.5058e57acaa531b1fa6a555f0d43db05.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg.df39f3c468f2e2aa41ca1999902c2a5d.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg.84eba8935a3078043b8c7d634813be99.jpg

What is epp?

Also in cpu-z it says my DRAM frequency is 400mhz. Shouldn't that be 800...

I turned off Sli-Ready memory. And I am using the current settings:

tCL- 4

tRCD - 4

tRP - 4

tRAS - 12

tRC - 24

Command Per Clock - 2t

Vcore - 1.40 (auto)

NBv - 1.42 - manual

SBb - 152v (auto)

cpu VTT v - 1.36v (auto)

Any other recommendations?

Ill keep testing away. Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

What is EPP?

Google.com will help you with a lot general questions like this..

Also in cpu-z it says my DRAM frequency is 400mhz. Shouldn't that be 800...

A: It is; DDR800 actually run at 400 MHz but because it is double data rate 400 X2 = DDR800.

The memory Voltage should be set to 2.1 Volts but the settings look fine.

• 1 year later...
I have the same setup as this guy... only with 2X1024's of 6400C4, used the timings suggest by the RAMGUY, works like a charm now... thanks for the info.. just wanted to let him know he isnt the only one

JackLinx

Ive just finally upgraded my memory, from (2X1gb) XMS2 DDR2 800 C4 to (2x2gb) XMS2 DDR2 800 C5. My timings are set for the original (C4) set I recieved from the RG. 4-4-4-12, 2t, 24. What should the timings be for the C5 set. Its running but want to time it right, this MB has always had a problem with auto settings.

And probably not recommended, but if i combined the two sets..(2X1-C4) and (2X2-C5), i would just have to adjust to the lowest sets' timing right? Having total 6gb @ C4 settings?

Thanks

Trent

And probably not recommended, but if i combined the two sets..(2X1-C4) and (2X2-C5), i would just have to adjust to the lowest sets' timing right? Having total 6gb @ C4 settings?

You are correct. It is not advised, nor is it recommended to combine different versions and capacities. That being said, Corsair advises you to drop your bandwidth from 800Mhz to 667Mhz and install the loosest timings given the modules. CL5 if you are mixing CL4 and CL5. You are also recommended to increase your memory controller voltage +.2v for your mainboard.

The only timings that are given are the main timings, if some sub-timings need to be determined or set to manual, then, set to manual, check the values with Memset and then document those timings. Set them manually in the BIOS after.

Here is the 4.0 version (for 2000 /XP /Vista 32&64 bits): MemSet.zip

For Processors with Integrated Memory Controller:

-AMD Phenom DDR2 & DDR3.

-INTEL Core i7 DDR3. Change timings on Core i7 CPU is possible with GygaByte and eVGA motherboards.

(Memory Configuration space are locked in the bios on others motherboards).

The 1.1 version: CPU-Tweaker 1.1

CPU-Tweaker 1.1

Also, some documentation for you in your sub-timing hunt.

Some Timings Explained

• 8 months later...

I guess i just noticed my original question never got answered. What are the proper setting for (2x2gb) XMS2 DDR2 800 C5?

It is still running on the manually set c4 timings from my previous set. I just want the best settings for the current sticks (C5)

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
I guess i just noticed my original question never got answered. What are the proper setting for (2x2gb) XMS2 DDR2 800 C5?

It is still running on the manually set c4 timings from my previous set. I just want the best settings for the current sticks (C5)

Thanks

The memory settings for the TWIN2X4096-6400C5 kit are 5-5-5-18 1.9v

Thank You!

Archived