Corsair Community

Technical question on ripple (HX520W)

japroach

I picked up a HX520W a few days ago, and haven't yet got the rest of the parts for a system so I tried doing some basic bench tests.

I powered it on with no load, and it makes the buzzing/hissing noise as noted in other threads (which is supposed to happen to a percentage of units at low load according to the corsair guys). So I started loading the supplys 12V line and with a small load (5W) it goes away, then it comes back with larger loads. I tested up to about 180W and it was still there.

Loading the 5V line will also make a high pitched noise, but it is slightly different and a bit louder.

Anyway, on to the technical question: how is the ripple voltage measured on a PSU? Normally it is easy to spot the charge/discharge ripple on the output (which is there), but it is nothing compared to this huge ringing I'm seeing.

With low load its about 450mV p-p, as load increases it will go up to about 900mV p-p at 7A, then drops back to ~400mV (distorted) at around 15A load. Frequency is ~130kHz.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about (12V @ 7A):

http://host.atomicfire.net/files/42/psu%20001.jpg

http://host.atomicfire.net/files/42/psu.jpg

Thanks

• Corsair Employees

First off, ripple and noise has nothing to do with audible noise. So you can put that thought to rest. The ripple and noise of a Corsair PSU in significantly less than some others on the market.

As for the noise, it's probably loose windings on one of the transformers. But since it rings more when you load the +5V more, it could be just the +5V transformer (a separate transformer.) Since a high +5V, low +12V load is unrealistic for a modern day PC, I wouldn't panic.

Get your machine built and see what it sounds like with a normal load. Don't speculate anything until then. ;)

First off, ripple and noise has nothing to do with audible noise. So you can put that thought to rest. The ripple and noise of a Corsair PSU in significantly less than some others on the market.

As for the noise, it's probably loose windings on one of the transformers. But since it rings more when you load the +5V more, it could be just the +5V transformer (a separate transformer.) Since a high +5V, low +12V load is unrealistic for a modern day PC, I wouldn't panic.

Get your machine built and see what it sounds like with a normal load. Don't speculate anything until then. ;)

Thanks, I will get it built and report back with any problems (it may take a few weeks before I have everything).

Archived