Corsair Community

Identical issue with my RAM

I have had almost an identical experience to what has been described above.

I started receiving BSOD memory errors on WinXP Pro over the last 24 hours, which degraded to the point that I could not get the single POST beep to get the system to come up.

I pulled both 1GB memory sticks, and swapped them. Same problem. When I installed them one at a time it turned out that whenever one stick is inserted, the motherboard will not boot at all. I am unable to run any tests on the memory stick at all.

The memory is basically new, having been purchased almost exactly 30days ago from new egg to go with a new MB and CPU i had just bought.

I would like the ticket number I need to request an RMS and have this stick sent back and replaced.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Perhaps my previous post was not understood.

1) I am posting this here BECAUSE I read the instructions on what to do if I think a part is bad, which requires having made a post here and providing the posts reference number in the RMA request.

2) The board has the latest BIOS.

3) The computer functioned normally with both sticks up until a week ago.

4) When stick 'A' is inserted in one slot and stick 'B' is inserted in the second slot, the computer WILL NOT BOOT. Nothing Dead. No POST. Nada. Can't run a memory test that way.

5) When stick 'A' is inserted in one slot and the other is left open, the computer WILL NOT BOOT. Nothing Dead. No POST. Nada. Can't run a memory test that way.

6) When stick 'B' is inserted in one slot and the other is left open, the computer boots normally.

Given the above, it is not a problem with BIOS or voltage settings. It is clear one stick has simply died. It is also impossible to run any memory tests on a stiuck that when inserted into the PC motherboard kills the computer.

Archived