Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3200C2PT; 1 of 2 sticks appears bad

Earlier this week my PC began crashing to BSoD and was unable to load a new OS (tried xp and xp-64). Since that time I have tried several thinks to determine what the cause was. I removed my soundcard, video card, hardrives (all but 1), and wireless card. I then removed 2 of the 4 GB of memory that I had in my system and once again was met with a BSoD. I removed the 2 GB of memory that I left in my PC and replaced them with the other 2 that I had initially taken out. I was then able to install the OS.

At this point I added each piece of additional hardware (installing the newest drivers). When this was complete I replaced 1 of the 2 sticks with 1 of the possible "broken" sticks and the system ran fine. Next I removed that stick again and replaced it with the last possible damaged stick. The system was unstable and I was unable to even get to the Bios.

Next I ran memtest86+ for several hours for the 3 remaining sticks and they appear to be fine. I attempted to run memtest86+ for the suspected bad stick however I was unable to.

Any assistance that you could lend would be most appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived