Bad ram ? corsair xms2 cm2x1024 -6400 ddr2 ram

Basically i have a server which is

Asus M2N Plus sli vista edition m/b

AMD Athlon X2 4600+ CPU

2GB ( 2 x 1 gb) of corsair xms2 cm2x1024 -6400 ddr2 ram

Windows server 2003

Western Digital 160gb HDD

Symantec corp antivirus version 9

I bought 2 of the sticks from scan.co.uk , the other 2 from ebuyer.com. It was a new system build on the 5/5/2007 and all works fine and ive not had any problems. So today i go to install another 2gb of the same ram (corsair xms2 cm2x1024 -6400 ddr2 ram) as was in the machine and upon boot i noticed this in the event log :

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2664/image5zh2.jpg

Anyway i tried memtest 86 which checked out ok with no errors, and microsoft memory test , aside form microsoft memory tester complaining the system had more than 4gb of ram each test passed fine.

The 4gb of ram was recognized in bios and i was even able to boot into the server and in task manager the 4gb ram shows up fine. But im concerned at this event error. Is it likely to be faulty memory , or is this a problem with the bios ?

I flashed with the latest bios (revision 0206), even tried installing server 2003x64 OS on a seperate partition on the system. The error was there even after a fresh install.

Anyone seen this before ? im baffled , should i rma the ram or stick it out for a bios update from asus ? have the corsair techs been able to get 4 sticks of this 1gb ram to successfully work without acpi complaining ?

Id appreciate any help before i have to rma this stuff if it is the ram.

Andy

• Corsair Employee
You should contact the maker of the MB or system and see if they have a newer Bios that might address that, and when you installed the memory and or flashed the Bios did you load setup defaults after?

Hi ram guy

Yes after i installed the 2 extra sticks and noticed a problem , i loaded the most recent bios for that asus mb bios rev 0206 and loaded all the defaults. Is it more likely to be a bios error than a ram error then ? since installing the ram , allthough i get thet acpi error in event viewer ive not noticed any other ill effects and the machine seems to be stable. I just dont wanna messaround with putting ram in then taking it out. Is t best to wait for a newer bios and see if the problem persists ? i have contacted asus to notify them of the situaiton.

• Corsair Employee
Yes that is a Bios error, the Bios is mapping a part of memory that it should not or the O.S. is trying to use an area of memory it shouldn't. I would check with the MB maker and see what they say.

Archived