Corsair Community

Cm2x512-a6400

Back in august last year I built my brother a faily decent system

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (2.4GHz) Socket AM2

Asus M2N-E Socket AM2 NF570ULTRA Audio Lan USB2 2000FSB SATA ATX

Corsair 1GB Kit (2x512MB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 (TWIN2X1024A-6400) CL5-5-5-12

The system was fine from day 1, the next morning upon boot up I found the standard Bios error 2 beeps indicating memory. I checked them, swapped them around etc, and found the system would only boot with one of the to sticks.

Sometimes you can run the system with both sticks, but after about 20-40 mins it will reset, and of course again, beep beep.

I never got around to fixing/diagnosing the problem, haven't had time or be bothered to, 512 has been fine for what he plays/does most of the time.

However I would appreciate anyadvice before I go the RMA route. I have updated the BIOS, and tried all sorts of timings including that of the recommended and slower. I'm out of my depth tbh.

• Corsair Employee
That sounds more like a power problem, but I would make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will try those suggestions when I get a chance.

Sorry when you say power problem are you refering to the PSU or your suggestion of increasing/checking the dimm voltage?

The PSU was brand new, NorthQ 4775-400, ATX 400W. Surely enough jusice there for a budget mid range system? Geforce 7600 i ncase your wondering what else is hogging it, doesn't have an seperate power connector on it.

It's only the one stick that won't boot up at all. In the same slot. Surely the same settings for both?

• Corsair Employee
It may be the PSU Yes, but what I said was that it suggested a power problem, meaning it could be a problem with the MB being able to provide enough power, but normally if it is a power problem it would be the PSU. I would suggest testing the modules in another system to be sure.

• 7 months later...

Took a while but I got around to looking at this again.

I;ve played around with the timings and the voltage settings. It doesn't make a difference. The system will reset and fail to boot.

It will fail to boot with the one stick of ram in question at all times.

I would like to request an RMA for this module.

Archived