Corsair Community

Fan-Only Power Connectors

oab

I would like to say before anything that I did use the "search" on the forums, and could not find my answer, so if this has been answered before, just point me to where I can read the answer myself.

I have the "new" HX620W from Corsair, and I have a quick question about the "fan only" power connectors. Before I had the HX620, I had an Antec True Power Trio 550 in the system, and it well died (infant mortality, popped after about 3 hours of C&C3).

Sinec I always like to have a "spare" anyways, I picked up the new Corsair (it had an awesome review on [H]ard OCP*), and installed it (now, if I can only find my reciept for that Antec....), and I noticed something.

On the Antec, its Fan-only power connectors were controlled by the PSUs internal temperature sensor, however, with the Corsair, being modular, it does not appear to do that. So my 120mm rear fan is now running always at full speed (which is kind-of loud). On JohnnyGURUs site** it listed the "fan only" connectors as being "2x thermostatically controlled 12V only" and "Fan only connectors are on a Y-splitter.", so I was under the impression that the fan-only connectors would regulate the speed of yhe rear fan just like my Antec did.

My question is simple: How do I get the rear fan to be thermo-controlled? (assuming it is possible)

*http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMwMSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

**http://jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=32

jonny must have gotten something wrong, the Y-splitter cable is 12V power only, nothing else.

the fan-only in the Antecs link up to a thermal sensor inside the PSU

you need 3rd party hardware if you want a thermocontrolled fan, or just use a fan controller to vary the voltage. or use a Zalman fan mate 2 to control just 1 fan.

jonny must have gotten something wrong, the Y-splitter cable is 12V power only, nothing else.

the fan-only in the Antecs link up to a thermal sensor inside the PSU

you need 3rd party hardware if you want a thermocontrolled fan, or just use a fan controller to vary the voltage. or use a Zalman fan mate 2 to control just 1 fan.

That is what I had thought after seeing that it was just a Y adapter with just the 12v and a ground running off of it, and it was just on a standard 4-pin molex connector.

I just wanted someone to say that I wasn't missing something horribly obvious that came in the box but that had fallen under the foam packing insert or something like the actual thermo-controlled widgit.

Guess I need to mod my zalman fanmate 2 now ...

Archived