Corsair Community

Getting 4 x RAM working on a DFI INFINITY C51PV-M2/G???

crewcamden

Howdy.

For quite a while I've been using 2 x 512 MB sticks of RAM (Corsair VS1GBKIT533D2) in my DFI mATX mobo. I decided I'd plug in another 2 sticks to beef things up a bit. I did this. It's the same RAM, i.e. Corsair VS1GBKIT533D2.

I booted up the computer with all 4 sticks in place. The screen no longer worked. I was using onboard graphics at the time, i.e. GeForce 6150. Everything else seemed to be in order. There were no beeps, etc. So I decided to pull out an older CRT monitor (that's fully functional) and plug it into the VGA interface. I removed my newer LCD monitor from the DVI-D interface.

I booted up again. The same problem. I removed the 2 new sticks of RAM. The screen worked again. Both the CRT and the LCD displays worked in fact. I plugged in the 2 new sticks of RAM and removed the old sticks of RAM. Everything worked.

OK, so I go and buy a ECS 8600 GT 256 and plug that in. Everything works with 2 sticks or 3 sticks of RAM, but as soon as I plug in all four sticks, the monitor doesn't come on.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? It's extremely frustrating. I'm using the BIOS datestamped 03/13/2007.

• Corsair Employees
I would try and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and exit and install all four modules and see if it will post, but you might need a bigger PSU with the config you gave.

I went into the BIOS with 3 sticks in the board. I pumped up the volts to 2.0 V. I powered down and stuck in the fourth stick, booted up and voila, everything works a charm.

Now I know why you're called RAM GUY. Seriously, you've saved me a lot of heartache here. I thought I had a dicky mobo.

Very impressed with Corsair support. Will recommend to friends.

Cherers.

Oh oh... spoke too soon. Now I can get Windows to boot up and act fine. The problem is when I start up a game of Civilization IV I can play about 3-4 minutes before the computer reboots. Hmmm... Do you think this is a PSU problem? Or should I put more volts thru' the RAM?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I pushed the volts to 2.1. Now everything works fine. Is this too much?

• Corsair Employees

Yes I would suggest our HX520 Minimum and if you use another Brand of PSU except for PC Power and Cooling I would suggest 550-600 Watt Minimum.

You might try and set the North Bridge Voltage up a bit more.

Archived