Corsair Community

both sticks of TWIN2X2048-6400 failing memtest

I have two sticks of Corsair CM2X1024-6400 RAM in a ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard. My computer worked great for the first 6 months after I built it, but recently I've been having a plethora of crashes and file corruptions. The crashes happen namely while playing World of Warcraft (started after installing Burning Crusade specifically), but it has also started causing non-WoW related problems. Sometimes I just get error messages, and sometimes the computer simply shuts itself down. Files are starting to get corrupted, including the Windows registry.

I've tested each stick of RAM individually and in all 4 slots, and each time they fail to pass Memtest. In fact, Memtest usually freezes a couple of minutes into the test. Right now I'm running with only 1 stick of RAM, as the computer will no longer even boot up if both sticks are present.

I have tried using the settings suggested for P5B boards on this forum - setting voltage to 2.1, turning off USB Legacy, setting Write to Precharge Delay to 15 - none of them seem to have any effect. I am using the latest revision of my BIOS and all of my other drivers are up to date.

Any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated! The rest of my specs are below:

ASUS P5B-Deluxe

Thermaltake TR2-430W

Core 2 Duo 6600

2gb DDR2 800 RAM

X1900XT 256mb

X-Fi Xtreme Music

150GB WD Raptor

The PSU you have listed will not be enough for the Video card you have I would suggest testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately I have no other computer to test it out on. I'm also not sure why the system would work perfectly for 6 months (with LOTS of 3D graphics-intensive gaming), and only now start to fail.

• Corsair Employees
The Video Card requires about 24-28 Amps on one Rail as I remember and the PSU may be just getting tired, but if a friend can maybe help you test them it could save you some time and money.

The Video Card requires about 24-28 Amps on one Rail as I remember and the PSU may be just getting tired, but if a friend can maybe help you test them it could save you some time and money.

Thank you for the quick reply. I see now that my power supply may indeed be underpowered for my video card, though it has lasted surprisingly long so far. Also, would the video card really be drawing enough power during a session of Memtest to cause problems?

Archived