Corsair Community

Definitive Answer from Corsair - Will a HX520W run a X1950 Pro (512mb) PCIE?

70_Malibu

Ack!:eek: I'm scared!

My brief story:

I bought a Sapphire Radeon X1950 PRO 512mb PCIE video card from Newegg in hopes of upgrading my system. I plugged it in and discovered all sorts of dots showing up on my desktop. At the time, I was running an Antec Smartpower 450W. After poking around, I found that the video card has some pretty hefty power requirements - 30 amps on a 12v rail. I figured my Antec was a piece of junk, so I did some more research on power supplies and found the HX520W would met the card's requirements, (at least in specs., combined 40 amps on the 12 volt), so I went ahead and bought one and plugged it in. The video card was still artifacting. So I thought the card was bad. I currently have it shipped out on an RMA to Newegg.

Now, after further research, I'm reading about the HX520 NOT being able to support this card! I'm still awaiting the return of a different card.

I don't see the HX520W in ATI's certified component list under the X1900/X1950 section! http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/buildyourown2.html

I see the HX620W made it, though.

So my question is Corsair (RAM GUY, Power Guy :biggrin: ), can the HX520W indeed support this card, or am I going through a possibly unnecessary RMA, along with having bought the wrong PSU?

Please help! Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

Yes the HX520W can provide up to 480 Watts on the 12 Volts rail and will work with that Video Card and up to a Max of about 34 Amps per header if you only use one of the three.

However, I will ask power Guy to comment on this ASAP.

So essentially, sounds like you're saying not to count on it for Crossfire, but a single card should run on it? That's fine by me!

Boy, I sure hope I DID have a bad card. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I bought the HX520W because it came highly recommended, and like I said, looked to meet the card's requirements.

But reading some of the reviews of the HX520W on Newegg, I came up with conflicting statements, too. On one hand this one:

Pros: Beautiful looking unit, great modular design, and a retail package chocked full of goodies. VERY quiet. In fact, almost too quiet - I had to keep checking to make sure the fan was running.

Cons: While the unit was quiet, it seemed to run pretty hot. I think the fan speed should be set a little higher. Also, high-end Radeon owners BEWARE. This unit will NOT work with a Radeon X1800 or above. I bought a Radeon X1950XTX, which said power requirements were "at least 450 watts with minimum 30A on the +12v rail". The HX520w claims 520 watts, with 40A on the +12v rail. My video plagued with on and off corruption, and overall very unstable. I called ATI support, and was told that their testing with this PS was fine up to the X1600, but it didn't cut it for the X1800 or X1900 series. However, they said the 620-watt PS tested OK.

Other Thoughts: While the modular design is a nice idea, I'm not sure I'm sold on it. Any build I've ever done, I've used virutually every power connector. Same with this - I had very few leftover cables, so the modular design is just "fluff". Also, the velcro bag to store the extras in? How much of the high price for this unit did THAT cost??

And another review says:

Pros: Lots of power, very stable. Aesthetically pleasing.

Cons: None.

Other Thoughts: Runs my Gigabyte DS3, e6400, 2GB ********, and Sapphire x1950XT effortlessly.

There's also conflicting stories, both pro and con in the Sapphire Tech Forums, too.

Please let it be a bad card... pleasepleaseplease....

Thanks Again!

• Corsair Employees

Please let it be a bad card... pleasepleaseplease....

Thanks Again!

I don't know if you got a bad card, a bad PSU, a bad motherboard...or what. But I know I have personally tested the X1950 on the HX520 and HX620, and it works fine.

Thanks for getting back to me Power Guy!

Now don't go freaking me out further with these other possibilities. I'll start with the new card and go from there. My system isn't even a year old, so I hope it's not anything other than a bad card. Also from trying the card with 2 different PSU's that should "technically" run it, both with similar results, it's gotta be, right???

Can't be the PSU.... it's a new Corsair!! ;):

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I received my replacement card, and it's still acting a bit quirky. Like sometimes on boot, when the Windows screen comes up with the pulsating bar, I see a red dot below the "S". Another time, after I quit Quake 4 (which ran beautifully) and returned to my desktop the dots were back! I started Quake 4 back up, quit it again, and when it returned to my desktop, it looked fine. These things seem to happen sporadically, though. Most of the time there aren't any issues.

It's weird. Oh well. I guess I'll live with it.

Thanks again for responding guys!

• Corsair Employees

I would suggest checking with the respective manufacturers IE Saphire and ASUS to see if they have seen this issue and also if you have the latest bios for your MB and the latest Firmware for your Video Card. Even though you just got it from them it may not have the latest firmware. Also I would check with NVidia to see if they have seen this issue with the GPU the card you have is using.

Also as another test if a friend has a system that you can test your card in that would help to see if the problem follows the card or the system.

Archived