Corsair Community

Bad RAM or bad MOBO?

RAMGUY, I would like some help/guidance. I have an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe mobo with two TwinX pairs of CMX512-3200C2PT RAM in it - 2GB total. I have had this since 2003 and have been very happy with it. At the end of March 2007, I was experiencing crashes and buggy behavior. I ran Memtest and isolated down to a single bad module and had that pair RMAed. (After I incurred the expense of an overnight delivery, the RMA return took over three weeks once you (Corsair) had received the bad pair and only after I made 5 plus calls into the RMA department.)

Anyway, I received the replacement pair, popped them into the system and everything seemed to be great. However, in the past three days, I have been getting intermittent errors and blue screens in Windows XP. I re-ran Memtest (v 3.3) and now show this new RAM to be faulty. My test methodology was as follows:

1. All four sticks in the MB - Memtest gives errors

2. Original sticks in either pair of slots - Memtest runs clean

3. RMAed stick in either pair of slots - Memtest gives errors

So, if I just run the system with the original 1Gb of RAM, the OS is stable and the box stays up. Now, my settings in the BIOS are Auto for everything - no overclocking. I would have thought at this point that I received a now faulty set of RAM and should have them RMAed however, I do remember during this flurry of errors and reboots seeing errors about the BIOS. I re-flashed the BIOS on my MB to the latest download-able version and I have not seen any errors but I have this nagging question in the back of my mind as to whether or not this issue still might in some way be related to the motherboard. I would appreciate either an A-OK to RMA the RAM based on your experience or a good way to test the motherboard itself.

Thanks in advance for your help.

clhommedieu

• Corsair Employees
With just the new modules installed please load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have Cas 2-3-3-6, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Downloaded the latest version of Memtest. One DIMM runs through 3 passes fine. The other kicks out errors almost immediately into the first pass. Guess I need to RMA the replacement RAM. Any suggestions on how to make this process not take the 3 weeks it took last time?

Thanks again for your help.

clhommedieu

Archived