Corsair Community

Voyager stick 8GB boot issues: please assist!

MarvinFS

Just bought Voyager flash drive, 8Gb capacity. Speed is just great, everything works perfect under vista and NTFS filesystem.

Now, wanna make it bootable to allocate some WinPE stuff and software. To make it BIOS compatible USB boot drive, i need to have FAT16 partition as primary. (of couse not more that 2GB) and the rest i've decided to make as extended partition->logical drive FAT32 (~6GB).

The first issue is that "diskpart" (under vista ultimate) program of MS supports only single partition on removable drive: (after i made primary FAT16 2GB partition)

DiskPart cannot create the partition because the selected removeable disk

already has a partition present.

On removable disks, DiskPart only supports the creation of a single partition

covering the entire disk.

Ok, now i'm using Acronis Disk Director 10 and Paragon Partition Manager 8.5, they made primary FAT16 2GB partition and extended->logical drive partition ~6GB FAT32 right away. But in windows i can't access second (FAT32) partition in any way (cant assign it a drive letter, cant format it or something else). primary partition is fully operational. Now the question is: Is it possible to have multiple and operational FATXX partitions on USB flash stick?

The second prob is that when i'm using HP flash storage formatter or pe2usb to make the stick bootable and usable under WinPE environment it attempts to format whole drive, regardless of it's current topology and partitioning, thus it's trying to format 8GB drive under FAT16, so it fails with error. I understand, that this is not a problem of Corsair, but nevertheless, maybe you have some suggestions, cause i'm out of ideas!

All my probs were solved by using Microsoft UDF Preparation tool (udfprep). Now i have 8gb bootable fat32 flash drive. BTW udfprep is not working under Vista even in admin mode and with compatibility turned on.

• Corsair Employees
I would try and boot with a Win98 Floppy and set the USB Drive as a HDD in the Bios and then use FDISK to make the partitions and make one boot able and then see if that does not solve the problems.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to achieve the same MarvinFS apparently have achieved...

I don't have a floppy drive, so booting from a floppy is not an ideal solution for me, also I've never understood fdisk' interface.

I've tried using Paragon Partition Manager 8.5 and following MarvinFS approach, and come to the same problem: I cant assign a drive letter to the larger FAT32 partition.

What is Microsoft UDF Preparation tool, and where do I find it?

Many thanks in advance!

edit: using XP...

Thanks for the reply.

I found out it's actually called ufdprep.exe and not udfprep.exe. With default options it creates one 8gb bootable partition suitable for bartPE.

Steps to obtain ufdprep.exe involves getting this update:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9bdf1dea-a37e-4d25-83df-aabbaa78914f&DisplayLang=en

and secondly using a tool like http://hstewart.members.winisp.net/downloads/msix.zip to extract ufdprep.exe from one of the files in that update.

Unfortunately it seems bartPE doesn't really work the way I expected it would (I would like to be able to install any XP applications or drivers) so I tried installing just a full XP SP2 instead, without luck: after the first reboot in the install procedure I get the XP logo followed by a blue screen telling me to run CHKDSK /F. Any ideas why this is? or if it's even possible to do a full XP install on a FV?

Many thanks in advance!

Archived