Corsair Community

memory problem

Hi Ram Guy,

I have the same modules and am having difficulty running them at the rated timings of 2-3-3-6 @ 2.75V in Dual Channel. My sticks are a matched pair:

CMX1024-3200C2PT XMS3202v2.1 0602001-2 (see picture)

I looked at the IC list and these appear to be the dreaded Nanya -5 Rev B, which from researching may not be the best chips. So far the best I have gotten is 2.5-3-3-8, without overclocking! I have used Corsair extensively for several years and have been very satisfied with the quality and performance, but I am disappointed with these modules.

I have a pair of TWINX CMX256A-3200C2PT XMS3202v1.2 0347094 which runs very nice overclocked in the same machine. The main reason for buying Corsair is the overclocking capability.

Here's the specs on my machine:

Abit AN8-Sli

X2 3800+ 939 socket

Antec TP3-550W

2x Hitachi SataII 80GB Harddrives

Sony DVD RW+

Philips DVD-Rom

eVGA 7900 GS KO

Typical OC configuration is 320HTT x 8 Multi = 2560 MHz @ 1.45Vcore

HTT multi x3 = 960

DDR Divider 2/3 = 213MHz @ 2.75V

NForce @ 1.5V (Northbridge)

I set all the memory timings to SPD, then modified only the CL-Trcd-Trp-Tras values. This of course works great on the 256 modules and last I remember I got 2-3-3-5 timings at 213MHz or even better at only 2.7V. I have not tried going above 2.8V on the 1 gig sticks, because I get boot errors at anything below 2.5-3-3-8 timings.

I'm hoping you can either help or replace these sticks with some nice Winbond chips, which I believe runs very nice on the AN8-Sli board.

Thanks,

Greg

1232683452_2GigsCorsair.thumb.jpg.b58b889cba51b2fc8b0e6e2f02751540.jpg

1. Nope, only the 2x 1 gig sticks in the black slots (1 & 2).

2. I'll try the 2.9 volts and post the results. I would expect to hit the advertised 2-3-3-6.

3. Right now the machine is running bone stock. 200HTT x 10 = 2000MHz, DDR @ 1:1.

Okay, running 2-3-3-6 @ 2.9V with no overclocking. (see picture...over on the right...yeah the cpuz ;)

Should I run it at 2.9V with my previously described typical overclock?

Obviously I haven't had time to benchmark or Memtest it yet, but it is running. Isn't 2.9V a bit high? The specs list 2.75V for these timings.

786073552_Memoryat2_9V.thumb.JPG.b17684e791d699254c1a851328c023d8.JPG

Ram Guy,

My machine is about to complete the third pass of memtest without errors, but again I would ask if it is normal to have to run the modules at 2.9V just to get the rated speed. Now it seems I have no headroom for overclocking them.

Thanks,

Greg

they're warrantied up to 2.90 volts, so it's perfectly fine. also, your system may be set to 2.9, but it may only be 2.6 for example, depending on motherboard defects / screw ups / whatnot.

Thanks, but it didn't really answer the question regarding the modules running the timings at 2.75V.

The Abit board seems to be pretty good at reporting voltages and they also appear to be very stable. It's been running Memtest for almost 6 hours (7 passes) with no errors. I'm going to try overclocking the system tonight.

Okay. I'm overclocked again at 320HTT with a 2/3 ram divider. It's taking 2.9V to run the modules @ 2-3-3-6 at 200MHz and they are now running 2.5-3-3-6 at 213MHz with the overclock, while I benchmark the system. These modules seem marginal.

Again, I bought these specifically for the overclocking factor. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Did you try testing the one up at the tested settings Cas 2-3-3-6 2T at 2.75 Volts? And what slots do you have them in, try them in the other two slots and see if the results change?

I have not tried them individually or is the second bank (slots 3 & 4). They would only run at 2.5-3-3-8 at 2.75volts with a 1T command rate. Are you saying that the rated 2-3-3-6 timing is at 2T?

Before I got these, I ran the 256MB pair in slots 1 & 2 @ 213MHz with 2.7volts no problem. I think the timings were 2.5-3-3-5 and I didn't push the voltage to try and improve the timings because the memory was fast based on some benchmarking.

Right now, they are running 2.5-3-3-6 1T @ 213 MHz but at 2.9volts.

By the way, I had been seeing some spontaneous reboots (no BSOD), which have improved since I boosted the voltage, but it's too early to tell if they are gone. No reboots with the 256Mb sticks.

I agree with you there, but the goal is always to run at 1T where possible or suffer the performance hit (I've heard anywhere from ~ 5 - 25%) at 2T.

I know my Abit AN8-Sli can do it. I'm typing on it right now at 1T. As I mentioned, the other Corsair sticks run like a dog on fire, and I believe the voltage readings are reasonably accurate. The real question is whether it should take 2.9 volts to get these to run. I guess the point is somewhat moot, because the best I think I will get is exactly what they are running: 2.5-3-3-6 1T at 213MHz. The best overclock with stability and everything staying nice and cool is where I have it. I am somewhat concerned about the life expectancy of these modules at 2.9 volts. I do not have a thermocouple on the heat spreaders, but they are very cool to the touch, thanks in part to a LOT of air moving through the case.

I have tuned and tweaked this machine for a while now. Foremost the goal is stability first, then the overclock. All of the components are rock solid (so far, knock on wood...) and I am now looking for the weaker links in the chain.

Maybe this thread can be moved into another forum, because I don't see it as a Warranty Question, but more of a theoretical question.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Ram Guy,

You helped me out last May when I was having some trouble with my memory modules (described in Specs and previous posts). Recently, the PC would not post. I removed one stick of memory and it runs without it. I have not tried the suspect module in the various slots yet, but my first question is:

1) If one of the modules is bad, do you normally replaced both in a matched set?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Hi Ram Guy,

Bad news. I tried both modules in various slots/configurations and then ran Memtest on each one individually. One module is definitely bad, all errors in Memtest. I will fill out the RMA form as you suggested.

Thanks for your assistance.

Greg

Archived