Corsair Community

Trouble with Corsair value select

greggers89

I just got 512 MB 184-PIN DDR-DIMM RAM made by Corsair and it has not been working with my computer at all. I tried it with my other ram (Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3) and it didn't work. I tried it without and it didn't work. I switched the slots and it still didn't work. My motherboard is an MSI PM8M-V that supports up to 2GB of RAM and has 2 slots. I'm using windows XP and a Celeron 2.93 GHz processor. I've tried setting it at 2.5V 2.6V and 2.7V but that didn't work. The RAM worked for maybe 2 days, then all of a sudden I would get the blue screen everytime windows loaded up. The number of my RAM is VS512MB400 G. Thanks for any help you may have to offer,

Gregory

To Gregory,

I may not be psychic but I predict you will get the standard never mix ram lecture from the ram guy. Its still possible to beat that advice, but you seem to be a poster child for flying blind. And the last thing you should be doing is changing ram voltages before you knowing more about what you are doing.

The first illusion you should discard is any notion that your bios has an iota of brains. And it sounds like your bios made an initial bad guess about mixed ram and now has progressed to another guess thats even worse because the combination won't run at all without the BSOD. The first question now is can you go back to what you had? And run just the 512MB stick that you had? Which now is not even a given without a jumper reset of your bios.

But now instead of flying blind you need some freebie programs that will get you flying with instrumentation. So download and learn to use cpu-z, memtest86, and get your personal bible---your motherboard manual which will contain the your set of options regarding bios settings. Clearly your old ram must have been compatible with your mobo and checking the corsair website

shows that vs512mb400 is also compatible. Now your job becomes finding some setting where both ram modules will both run happily. And you also know your bios won't do it automatically. I know vs512mb400 sends a spd timing of

2.5-3-3-8 @2T to the bios@pc3200---we have no basic idea what your other ram sends---but thats where cpu-z comes in. But you are basically going to have to take your bios out of auto spd and into manual mode. And just trial and error play with a wide variety of timings until you luck into a timing that works--and hold out for full pc3200 memory bus speeds. And make sure that memtest86 shows that those settings runs your ram error free.

Maybe someone here has a similar setup and can better advise you, but my advise is to quit flying blind as a step one. Do your homework first and know exactly what you have first thing. I will also point out I had a similar problem---mixing cl-2.5 with cl-3. And had to run through at least seven bios combinations

to get a setting where my ram combo ran right---and one of my sticks was a vs512mb400---and for some reason the setting the hit the spot was 2.5-3-3-7@2T--who knows why but others experience the same thing---so try that first.

Take my word for it, its never nice being in ram limbo. But it all becomes worthwhile when you find that setting where things run full speed and error free. And when you mix ram, you will almost certainly be in limbo for awhile. And you risk never getting out of limbo because that magic setting may not exist.

• Corsair Employees
With the CPU you have listed you would need to be running the memory at DDR333 and I would try and set the timings manually to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 and test the module by it self with http://www.memtest.org. And Osage923 has already gave you an outline of mixing memory. And its not that I preach that, its just a limitation that many seem to over look. Sorry but it gets old to answer the same questions thousands of times.

Archived