Corsair Community

Looks like 2 bad sticks to me!

Hi. This is part of the process to get an RMA to return bad memory right? I have an ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS motherboard and 4 CM2X1024-6400 memory modules. This is my first home-built PC - I did it with the help of a friend at work who has never bought a "branded" computer, so I felt it would work out. Anyway we saw weird little glitches happen the first night (using "prime96" as an overall "how's it going" test), so he thought maybe the memory was the problem. He used memtest86+ to check each stick. The first stick passed, so we used it to test each slot, and each slot also passed. We then tested the three remaining sticks. 2 passed and 2 failed. One failed within seconds and the other took about 10 minutes.

Because I'm anal I made a memtest disk and ran it on both the good sticks at the same time: no problem after 4 hours. I then re-tested the other 2 sticks and the problem repeated. Almost immediate failure (red stuff on the screen is bad right?), and the other failed after about 10 minutes.

Is there anything I need to try before returning the 2 modules?

The CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme QZ6700, but for everything else you'll have to speak slower. Like to an old guy. By system configuration do you mean all the bits and pieces that went into it like the video card and hard drives? I don't think anything was changed in the BIOS but I'll find out. I figure I'll post one answer and one followup question before I power it down and get into the BIOS, write down all kinds of stuff, then turn it back on and see what there is to see.

If you're looking for hardware configuration, the big three are already identified. Video card is EVGA e-GeForce 7950 GT KO. The hard drives (2) are Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS. A Samsung DVD burner but I can't figure out it's model number. A pair of Samsung monitors, A Thermaltake full ATX case with a Thermaltake 650 watt power supply. Something makes me think this isn't what you need though. Oh yeah it's running Windows XP Pro that I got for a penny :)

Now I'll see what I can figure out about the BIOS settings, and see about getting my friend on the phone to tell me stuff that might help. I tried to follow what he was doing as he was getting it running, but, well, oops.

Can't find anything in the BIOS that is specific to the CPU or memory. I'm sure it's there, and I'm sure it's findable, but I'm also sure it doesn't matter. 2 sticks fail and 2 sticks don't. That's enough for me, so I'll fill out the forms and send the bad parts back for replacement. Unless someone can come up with a really good explanation of how a setting in the BIOS can tell which stick of 4 is installed...

Thanks, EdB

• Corsair Employee
Are you setting the Voltage to 2.0 Volts? And if you install 4 modules you will need to manually configure the Bios so the memory runs at DDR667 and Disable legacy USB when you run any memory test.

Thanks for the info! I've got 2 more shifts at work to do, so I don't do much fun stuff for a while, but I will act on this when I can. Problem is I've got 2 sticks that fail memtest when either of them is the only stick installed. That's the part that convinces me those devices are bad: 2 sticks can pass but 2 sticks can't.

Thanks though because this is the first time I've built a computer and have to rely on help to learn lots of little details like this.

• Corsair Employee
If you and and you will be infront of your system you can call our Tech support at 800-205-7657 and we will try to help you solve the problem, and our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday threw Friday excluding holidays!

Archived