Corsair Community

VISTAand BSOD with my DOMINATOR

apopilot

As soon as I installed Vista 2 weeks ago I system keeps on crashing especially when I play MIcrosofts FSX FLight Simulator. This is the error I am getting.

I have installed a fresh new copy of VISTA ULTIMATE and FSX. When using FSX it has been crashing lately and the DEP (DATA EXECUTION PROTECTION is being activated). When I visit the VISTA CONTROL PANEL for DEP it does not allow me to add FSX to the safe list. Sometimes I even get the BSOD and my computer reboots. I have no third party applications installed. Here is the error from VISTA reporting utility.

After this happened it takes about 5 minutes for VISTA to boot and my screen stays black for this period of time. I just hear the hard drive caching.

Product

Microsoft Flight Simulator®

Problem

Stopped working

Date

5/3/2007 4:57 PM

Status

Report Sent

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.60905.0

Application Timestamp: 44fd0a92

Fault Module Name: StackHash_cebf

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: 0c69e000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: cebf

Additional Information 2: a2d8f70406b1dc588d67f49157436f3f

Additional Information 3: d75b

Additional Information 4: 605db4bbae3182e500cb2af41e941bc2

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 36309056

I can't see how this is RAM-related without further tests.

Could be Vista.

Could be the game.

Could be the video card/driver.

Could be unstable overclock (yes I know your sig said stable, but we'll never know)

Could be any combination of the above.

The only way to know for sure is to narrow down the potential causes:

1. Do you get BSODs/crashes only on this game? What about other games/apps?

2. Have you got the latest drivers for everything?

3. Go back to normal stock speed (both CPU and RAM) and see if those issues exist.

4. Have you tested the RAM initially?

I have tested the system at stock voltages and the same issues are happening only when playing games especialy Flight Simlator FSX. I have not experianced the BSOD while using VISTA and surfing the web and doing work. Have there been any Corsair Dominator memory issues with an EVGA 680i Board?

1.) How long should I run memtest to test stability?

2.) I have increased my memory voltage to 2.1 V.

My FSB is set at 1532.00 in SYNC mode with the memory at 766 mhz. My CPU is at 3.447 which is an overclocked E6600.

Run memtest for about 24 hours to make sure RAM is okay.

Then run Orthos SmallFFT test for at least 12 hours to make sure the CPU is stable.

Then run Orthos Blend test for at least 12 hours to make sure the system is stable (it stresses both CPU and RAM).

You could get away with running just the Blend test if you're not overclocking; the reason for running SmallFFT test is because it fails a lot quicker if your CPU overclock is not stable. But do both if you want to be sure.

If both tests are okay then your system is _most_ likely stable (you can NEVER be 100% sure with overclocks if they are only tested in benchmarks) and the problem might be software-related (OS, apps).

Archived