Corsair Community

Bad Ram.. again?

Hi,

I had bad RAM, so i created a TSExpress ticket, got an RMA, and sent my RAM off to america to be replaced (i live in australia). about 4 WEEKS (yesterday) i finally got my replacement RAM. I put it in the system, and ran memtest86.. i got errors!! haven't even booted into windows yet!

one stick appears to be fine, the other one keeps getting errors on test 2:

Failing address: 00037a15290 - 890.2 MB

Good: 00000000

Bad: 00000004

Err-Bit: 00000004

Channel: <blank>

if i let it run over night it errors out on a few other addresses (and tests) as well it seems, but this is the consistent error i get.

I have no problem sending the RAM back, but what really kills me is having to send both sticks back.. AGAIN! i only have some really slow 512MB of ram to replace the 2GB corsair that i have to send back, and it makes using my computer a poor experience.. considering this is new ram you just delivered to me and its faulty (and you still probably have my old RAM on hand), is there anything i can do to at least keep using the good stick of RAM.. having to wait another 4 weeks using this crappy 512MB stick is going to break my will! :(

Please help me out ramguy..

my ram:

corsair CMX1024-3200C2

its paired 2x1024MB

the stuff u sent me is v8.1 i think, my original ram that broke was 2.1 i think.

any other info u need?

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the BIOS settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

if you think its my mobo or cpu thats maknig the RAM go bad.. i'd be surprised. i used the other RAM for over a year without any problems, and on this ram its only one stick thats bad, the other one is fine (same with my old ram that went bad.. only one stick was affected).

I also tried the ram in DIMM slots 1 and 3, and 2 and 4, both times it gets errors in memtest.

anyway, the information you requested:

Mobo Make: DFI

Mobo Model: LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert

CPU Speed:2244MHz (according to CPUInfo. its an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+)

CPU FSB: 200MHz

CPU Settings:

- LDT/FSB Freq Ratio: Auto

- LDT Bus Xfer width: up16 down16

- CPU/FSB Freq Ratio: Auto

- PCI eXpress Freq: 100mhz

- K8 cool n quiet support: disable

- cpu vid startup value: startup

- cpu voltage: 1.35V or 1.36V

- LDT bus volate: 1.24V

- chip set voltage: 1.52V

- DRAM 2.5V Voltage: 2.76V

- CPU Vid control: auto

- cpu vid special control: auto

- ldt voltage control: 1.20V

- chip set voltage control: 1.52V

- DRAM voltage control: 2.77V (This was set to 2.71 or 2.72 before, then i bumped it up to 2.77 when i read the ram should be getting 2.75V.. 2.75 wasn't an option, it had 2.74 or 2.77, so i chose 2.77. however i noticed the ram errors in memtest before i bumped up the voltage)

- PCI eXpress config: 2-1-1-16

rset of the options aren't useful i think.. let me know.

RAM Settings:

DRAM freq set: by DRAM SPD value

CPC: enable

Tcl: 2.0

Trcd: 3

Tras: 6

Trp: 3

Trc: 7

Trfc: auto

trrd: 2

twr: 2

twtr: 2

trwt: 3

tref: 3120

odd divisor correct: disable

DRAM bank interleave: enable

dqs skew control: auto

dqs skew value: 0

dram drive strength: auto

dram data drive str: auto

max async latency: auto

dram response time: fast

read preamble time: auto

idle cycle limit: 256 cycles

dynamic counter: disable

r/w queue bypass: 16 X

bypass max: 07 X

32 byte granularity: disable (4 bursts)

the options in bold are the only ones i've mucked around with.. the ram timings settings were all orignilaly on default, which gave them a timing of 3-3-3-8, so i sped it up to 2-3-3-6 which is what the ram is rated to go at i believe. and as explained above i increased the dram voltage to 2.77V.

I have no problem sending the RAM back, but what really kills me is having to send both sticks back.. AGAIN! i only have some really slow 512MB of ram to replace the 2GB corsair that i have to send back, and it makes using my computer a poor experience.. considering this is new ram you just delivered to me and its faulty (and you still probably have my old RAM on hand), is there anything i can do to at least keep using the good stick of RAM.. having to wait another 4 weeks using this crappy 512MB stick is going to break my will! :(

Please help me out ramguy..

no love? :(

• Corsair Employees
Its not that expensive, I called from the Philippines and it was about 17 cents a min. once you get us on the phone just give us your number and we will call you back or email us your information and we will be happy to call you.

Funny, this is the EXACT situation i am going through at the moment - i'm in Australia too.

RMA'd a pair of 1gb Value Select sticks while back (same situation, 1 getting errors, 1 fine). A month later, i recieved the replacement sticks , they also had errors (again, only on 1 stick). Tried changing slots, etc, but no change.

This is on a asus P5B motherboard, E6400 cpu with all stock bios settings.

Tried the sticks on a friend's computer with MSI mainboard, and had the same results - 1 stick faulty, 1 stick fine.

And unlike you, Omniwolf, i have NO backup memory here. :(:

its not that expensive, I called from the Philippines and ir was about 17 cents a min. once you get s on the phone just give us your number and we will call you back or email us your information and we will be happy to call you.

should i create an RMA first? or just send an email to.. who?

mental note to self, 8am AEST is 3pm PST

Funny, this is the EXACT situation i am going through at the moment - i'm in Australia too.

RMA'd a pair of 1gb Value Select sticks while back (same situation, 1 getting errors, 1 fine). A month later, i recieved the replacement sticks , they also had errors (again, only on 1 stick). Tried changing slots, etc, but no change.

This is on a asus P5B motherboard, E6400 cpu with all stock bios settings.

Tried the sticks on a friend's computer with MSI mainboard, and had the same results - 1 stick faulty, 1 stick fine.

And unlike you, Omniwolf, i have NO backup memory here. :(:

damn.. sux to be us hey nordberg. i have an extra 512 or so MB of ram that wont run in conjunction to the backup stuff i use.. if you live close i could lend it to you :) im in sydney

im using the good 1gb stick of ram atm in my PC and it runs so nicely! not looking forward to having to give it up again hehe

brilliant. i certainly wasn't expecting such a prompt call, thanks for your efforts john, i really appreciate it.

Hussain has organised my ram shipment to go out tomorrow, and given me a UPS number to ship my old ram back to you guys once i receive the new ram, a happy ending!

corsair support has been redeemed! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived